You’ll love this baked Cornish hen recipe! Fall off-the-bone-tender cornish hens, bathed in a tasty Mediterranean garlic spice. Be sure to see suggested sides and salads!
- 2 celery sticks, cleaned and chopped in large pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1 lime or lemon, juice of
- 4 Cornish hens (roughly 1 lb to 1.5 lb each)
- 2 cup chicken broth
For the Spice Rub
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine the garlic spice rub ingredients in food processor. Run the processor until you achieve a pasty spice mixture or rub.
- Now to each of the hens, apply the spice rub generously on the outside and in the cavities. Lift the skins and apply the spice rub underneath (this is the key to flavor).
- Heat a lightly-oiled cast iron grill or skillet. Turn the the heat to medium-high and brown each of the hens on all sides. Set the hens aside momentarily to cool.
- Once the hens are cool enough to handle, stuff each hen’s cavity with the chopped onions and celery. Now squeeze juice of one lime or lemon on the hens. Add all the used lime or lemon halves in with the onion and celery stuffing. Sprinkle each hen lightly with a dash of seasoned salt, if you like.
- Place the spiced hens in a large cast iron skillet or a roasting pan. Add two cups of good chicken broth.
- Bake in the 425 degrees F heated-oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the hen juices run clean, basting every 15 minutes with the broth. Remove from the oven and cover loosely with foil for 15 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with sides like roasted Greek potatoes and fattoush salad.
- What to Serve Along: Serve with sides like Italian roasted veggies, cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes, Greek potatoes, or even Lebanese hashweh rice. I love to start with a big bowl of fattoush salad.
- Visit our online shop to browse quality extra virgin olive oils and all-natural and organic spices and more!
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Cornish Hen Recipe, How to Cook Cornish Hen, Roast Chicken, Baked Cornish Hen