A healthy carrot cake recipe that feeds a crowd! Or, freeze it for a ready breakfast or snack. A few secret ingredients keep it light and low-calorie. And what an easy cake to make?!
- 1/2 cup Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (reduced fat)
- 1/3 cup milk (2% reduced fat milk)
- 1/2 cup quality dark honey
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cups finely grated carrots (you can use food processor to very finely chop instead)
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted and finely chopped (you can use food processor)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- powdered sugar for light dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, geek yogurt, and milk. Add eggs one-by-one and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and spices
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Fold in the carrots. Mix to combine, then add the dates and walnuts. Again, mix with your wooden spoon until well combined.
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan like this one with parchment paper (or coat well with olive oil). Pour the carrot cake batter into the pan.
- Bake in 350 degrees F heated-oven for 1 hour (until a tooth pick inserted in middle of the cake comes out clean). Let cool completely. Sprinkle powdered sugar, if desired. Cut into 9 or 12 square pieces. Enjoy!
- Freezing instructions If you want to make this for a smaller crowd or as breakfast for yourself, you can easily freeze this cake. Once cooled completely, slice the cake into the number of pieces you need; cover and freeze in its baking tray (if it's freezer save) or transfer to a freezer safe tray. Let it freeze until solid (about 4 hours). Then remove, take out the pieces and wrap individually securely in plastic wrap and a final layer of aluminum foil. Thaw the pieces you need in the fridge overnight.
- Featured in this recipe: Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed koroneiki olives). SAVE! Try our Greek olive oil bundle.
- And From Our All-Natural Spice Collection: Ground Green Cardamom. SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle or our Mediterranean Essentials Bundle! Create your own 6-pack from our all-natural or organic spice collections.
- Visit The Mediterranean Dish Shop
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Carrot Cake, Carrot Cake with Honey, dessert, healthy carrot cake