This no-mayonnaise healthy chicken salad recipe is a great no-cook dinner and also as a potluck dish to share! Super chunky and loaded with Mediterranean favorites like shallots, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, plump golden raisins, fresh herbs, and a handful of walnuts! A light and zippy dressing brings it all together!
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (I used Greek Early Harvest)
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp/ 5ml white wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 tsp/12.97 g Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp/ 2.6 g Sumac spice
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- Salt and Pepper
For Chicken Salad
- 1/2 cup/ 75 g golden raisins (Sultanas)
- 3 to 4 cups/375 to 500 g shredded cooked (or rotisserie) chicken breast, skinless and boneless
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/3 cup/ 56 g chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup/ 13.75 g sun dried tomatoes (I used these)
- 1/2 cup/15 g chopped Italian parsley (flat leaf parsley)
- 1/3 cup/ 40 g shelled chopped walnuts or toasted pine nuts
- 5 to 7 roasted garlic cloves, chopped (optional. see recipe notes)
- Your favorite crusty bread or lettuce leaves to act as wraps
- Place golden raisins in a small bowl and submerge in boiling water for about 15 minutes to rehydrate and plump up. Drain well and pat dry with a napkin. (This is an optional step, but makes a difference in taste.)
- Make the dressing. In a bowl, or mason jar, add the extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard. Season with sumac, sweet paprika and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together (or close mason jar and shake well) until combined.
- Transfer the plump raisins to a large bowl. Add the remaining chicken salad ingredients: chicken, shallots, celery, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley and walnuts (or pine nuts). If using, add chopped roasted garlic. Using a spoon, give the chicken salad a toss to combine ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the chicken salad. Toss again with spoon until well combined. Set aside briefly to allow flavors to meld. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with toasted slices of your favorite bread or wrapped in lettuce leaves. Enjoy!
- Cook’s Tip: This chicken salad is best if made about about half hour or so before serving to allow flavors to meld. Cover and refrigerate.
- Cook’s Tip: I often use rotisserie chicken, but you can use cooked chicken breasts (about 2 to 3 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves, depending on size.)
- Cook’s Tip: If you’re serving this chicken salad for dinner, it will definitely feed 4 people. But, it’s the perfect potluck dish to share with a larger crowd.
- Roasted Garlic Option: roasted garlic is an option here, you do not have to add it. But if you choose to, it will add great earthy flavor with a hint of sweetness that compliments the raisins very well. You can use store-bought roasted garlic, or make your own at home. Roasted garlic can be made ahead and stored for use; see this tutorial.
- Leftover Storage Instructions: Store leftover chicken salad in tight lid containers in the fridge. If stored properly, leftovers should be good for 2 nights or so (taste before serving.)
- Visit The Mediterranean Dish online store for all-natural and organic spices and quality extra virgin olive oils and more!
- Category: Entree/Salad
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: chicken salad, healthy chicken salad, chicken salad with no mayonnaise, Mediterranean chicken salad