BEST, super crispy homemade pita chips, tossed with olive oil, za’atar and sumac. You can change up the seasonings to your liking, see notes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (for thicker pita bread, turn oven to 400 degrees F.)
- For pocket pitas, split the pita at the seams to make two single layers.
- Using some kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut the pita rounds into long strips, then cut them into 2-inch pieces each. (Or, cut the pitas into quarters, then into smaller triangles if you prefer this shape)
- In a large mixing bowl, pour a generous drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil (about 1/4 cup or so). Add the pita chips, and give them a quick toss in the olive oil. Add kosher salt and seasonings (I used a generous sprinkle of za’atar and sumac. See more ideas below). Toss again to make sure the pita pieces are well coated with seasoning.
- Spread seasoned pita pieces on an oiled baking sheet (or lined with parchment paper). Bake in heated oven for 5 minutes or so, then remove pan from heat and, using tongs, turn pitas on other side and return the pan to the oven for another 5 minute so so until golden brown. (Go a little longer for thicker pita until you reach desired color).
- Remove pita chips from oven and let them cool completely before using.
- Serve with favorite dips such as hummus, baba ganoush, Mediterranean citrus avocado dip. Or try them with this fresh Mediterranean salsa! You can also use these pita chips for these loaded Mediterranean roasted tomato “nachos”
- Cook’s Tip: You can season the pita chips to your liking. Za’atar and sumac are a wonderful Middle Eastern combination, but if you want to go for Moroccan, for example, try Ras El Hanout. If you’re looking for more of an Italian vibe, try a combination of oregano and dried parsley flakes.
- How to Store Homemade Pita Chips? To store, make sure the pita chips are completely cooled. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days. (I’ve seen it noted that you can store pita chips for up to 1 week, that may be possible, but for fresh good-tasting pita chips, 3 days or so.)
- Visit our online store for the best Greek extra virgin olive oils and our all-natural and organic spice collections including Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle and the Exotic 4 Pack.
Keywords: pita chips, homemade pita chips, how to make pita chips