A nutritious, flavor-packed spinach lentil soup that comes together in minutes! With earthy Mediterranean spices, lime juice and fresh parsley! Vegan.
- Private Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp sumac
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
- 2 tsp dried mint flakes
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water, more if needed
- 12 oz frozen cut leaf spinach (no need to thaw)
- 1 1/2 cups small brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 cups chopped flat leaf parsley
- In a large ceramic or cast iron pot, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the chopped onions and sautee until golden brown. Add the garlic, all the spices, dried mint, sugar and flour. Cook for about 2 minutes on medium heat stirring regularly.
- Now add the broth and water. Raise the heat to high and bring the liquid to a rolling boil; add the frozen spinach and the lentils. Cook for 5 minutes on high heat then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are fully cooked to tender. (Partway through cooking, check the liquid levels, and if you need to add a little bit of hot water.)
- Once the lentils are fully cooked, stir in the lime juice and chopped parsley. Remove from the heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes or so. Serve hot with pita bread or your favorite rustic Italian bread.
- This recipe uses small brown lentils, if you choose larger lentils, your cooking time may be longer. If you like, you can soak the lentils in cold water for 20 minutes before cooking to speed things up.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). And from our all-natural and our organic spice selection: ground coriander; ground cumin; and sumac .
- SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle, or created your own 6-pack or 3-pack from our all-natural or organic spices! And check out the Greek Olive Oil Bundle!
Keywords: Lentil soup, Mediterranean soup