Easy three bean salad recipe packed with Mediterranean flavors from fresh herbs, capers, and a zesty Dijon garlic vinaigrette. If you thought beans were boring, you just might change your mind! Be sure to check out the tips and watch my video for how to make this salad.
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1 cup chopped red onions
- 1 1/2 tbsp capers
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 10–15 fresh mint leaves, torn or gently chopped
- 10–15 fresh basil leaves, torn or gently chopped
Garlic Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1–2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, chopped peppers, onions, capers and fresh herbs. Mix using a wooden spoon.
- In a small bowl, add the vinaigrette ingredients. Whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add the vinaigrette to the salad bowl. Toss to coat.
- For best results, cover and refrigerate for a bit before serving so that beans soak up the vinaigrette flavors. Give the salad another quick toss before serving.
- Cook’s Tip: Rinse and drain beans before using. Canned beans release starch into the canning liquid, making it murky. The canning liquid is not necessarily bad for you, but just doesn’t look that great. What i like to do is drain the beans, then rinse well, and drain again before using.
- Cook’s Tip: Make this 3 bean salad a little bit ahead and refrigerate. Beans need a little time to soak up flavor, so it’s a good idea to make this salad ahead and refrigerate for 30 minutes to several hours. If you want to make this a day ahead, you can hold the fresh herbs and add them in 30 minutes or so before serving, this will just keep them from wilting too much into the salad (more for looks.)
- Leftover storage: store leftover three bean salad in the fridge in tight-lid containers. It should keep for 2 days (depending on when you actually made it.)
- Meal-Prep: If you want to make this salad to have for lunch over the next few days, hold the dressing and add it as needed a few minutes before enjoying your lunch.
- Recommended for this Recipe Our Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil.
- Visit our store to browse our olive oils, all-natural and organic spice, and more!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Three Bean Salad, Bean Salad, Mediterranean Salad