Make these crunchy chickpeas for an easy, healthy, flavor-packed snack! Salt and olive oil is all you need for the roasted chickpeas, but if you want to jazz them up, add some spices or seasoning as soon as they’re out of the oven!
- Drain and dry chickpeas very well. Dry them up using some paper towels and leave them in a colander until they have dried as much as possible (OR you can spread them on a large baking sheet lined with paper towel for a while.)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F and position a rack right in the middle.
- Spread the chickpeas well on a bare baking sheet (do not line the baking sheet with parchment or foil.) Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil and season with kosher salt. Toss chickpeas and make sure they are well-coated with the olive oil. Spread them out well on the sheet.
- Roast in heated oven anywhere from 20 to 35 minutes, shaking the pan every 10 minutes or so for even cooking. When chickpeas turn a deeper golden brown and the exterior is nice and crispy, they are ready.
- Season roasted chickpeas. Once you take the chickpeas out of the oven, immediately season with spices of your choice. This time, I used za’atar, sumac, harissa blend (up to 2 tsp each) for warm Middle Eastern and Moroccan notes. Play with the amounts to your liking, and even change up the spices according to what you have. (see more flavor ideas up in the post)
- Cook’s Tip: roasted chickpeas are best warm right out of the oven, they are crispiest at this point. Once they cool off and are stored for a time, they will maintain some crunch, but they will soften a bit on the inside. Still a very tasty and additive snack.
- Cook’s Tip for Making Roasted Chickpeas Using Dry Chickpeas instead of canned: If you’d like to make this recipe from dry chickpeas, do not cook them! Simply soak the dry chickpeas in plenty of water for 24 hours. They will expand and at least double in size, that’s what you want. Follow the same instructions for drying and roasting.
- Storage Tip: You can store cooled roasted chickpeas in a glass jar. They’ll last for 4 to 5 days. And Leaving the jar lid a bit lose allows the chickpeas to breath, keeping them crispy for longer. You can also freeze them for
- Visit our online shop to browse our olive oil bundles and all-natural and organic spices used this recipe and more!
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Roasted Chickpeas, Crispy Chickpeas, How to Roast Chickpeas