Shaved brussels sprouts, combined with peppery arugula, crunchy bell peppers and sweet apples. To add a sweet, festive touch, we have dried cranberries and raisins. A handful of nutty walnuts and a sprinkle of crumbled feta are the finishing touches. A simple honey-citrus dressing brings everything together.
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 6 oz baby arugula
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced into thin sticks
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large apple (I used Gala apple), cored, halved and thinly sliced
- Handful crumbled feta cheese
- Handful walnut hearts
- Handful raisins and/or dried cranberries
For Honey Citrus Dressing
- Prepare the honey-citrus dressing. In a small bowl or mason jar, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider, honey, garlic, salt, pepper and sumac (if using.) Set aside for now.
- Shave brussels sprouts. First, cut the stem and remove any bad leaves. Give the brussels sprouts a good rinse and dry. Now, to shave them, you can use a food processor fitted with a slicing attachment. Add the brussels sprouts and pulse until thinly sliced (you can also just use a knife to thinly slice brussels sprouts. Read the post above for more tips.)
- Rinse shredded brussels sprouts and drain very well (use a salad spinner if you need to.)
- Assemble the shaved brussels sprouts salad. Place shaved brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Add baby arugula, bell peppers, shallots, and apple slices. Give the dressing a little whisk and pour over the salad, mix to combine. Add feta cheese, walnut hearts, raisins and cranberries. Give the salad another gentle mix. Enjoy!
- Prepare Ahead Tip: you can prepare the dressing and refrigerate in a tightly-closed mason jar overnight. You can also prepare brussels sprouts, clean and shred them. Be sure to dry them very well, I use a salad spinner and I also pat them dry using some paper towels. Save them in the fridge in a separate container overnight until you are ready to assemble the salad.
- Cook’s Tip for Best Flavor: Once you add the dressing, it’s a good idea to let this salad rest a few minutes before serving it. This allows the flavors to meld (2o minutes or so.)
- For vegan option, omit the feta cheese.
- Visit our Online Shop to browse our extra virgin olive oils, all-natural and organic spices and more!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean/American
Keywords: Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad, Brussel Sprouts Salad, Raw Brussel Sprouts Salad