All-star Spanish Tortilla Recipe! Satisfying casserole with layers of velvety, olive oil cooked potatoes, onions and eggs. Serve w/ spinach arugula salad
- 10 medium eggs
- 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb russet potatoes (2 to 3 russet potatoes), peeled, halved and sliced cross-wise
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled, halved and sliced cross-wise
- 4 scallions, trimmed, chopped (both white and green portions)
For Spinach and Arugula Salad
- In a big bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, paprika and oregano. Set aside for now.
- Prepare a 10-inch oven-proof nonstick skillet or a well-seasoned cast iron skillet. Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat, watching until shimmering.
- Add potatoes, onions and scallions to the oil (don’t worry, at first, they won’t all seem to fit, but with a little stirring, they’ll compress as they cook.) Lower heat immediately to medium-low (you’ll want to control the heat making sure it continues to gently bubble). Cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are very tender.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use a heat-safe strainer over a heat-safe bowl to drain olive oil (keep the oil aside for now). Season the potatoes well with salt.
- Give the eggs a quick whisk and add the potato mixture to the eggs, freeing the skillet up.
- In the skillet, heat 3 tbsp of the reserved oil over medium heat. Pour in the egg and potato mixture, and gently press to even out the top. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook uncovered for 2 minutes, then transfer to heated oven for 5 minutes or so to finish cooking, watching carefully. Invert onto a serving plate, or leave to serve directly from pan. I like to add a garnish of chopped scallions. Set aside for 10 minutes or so before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a salad bowl, toss the spinach, arugula, salt, spices, lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil together.
- Slice Spanish tortilla into 6 slices and serve with the spinach and arugula salad. Add crusty bread, if you like. Enjoy!
- Looking for a bigger salad to serve along? Try this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Make Ahead and Leftovers: You can make this a night or so ahead. Let cool completely before storing in the fridge in tight-lid container. Leftover Spanish tortilla are great served just at room temperature or even cold. If you want, you can heat in a medium-heated oven until warmed through.
- Recommended for this Recipe Our Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil. From organically grown and processed Greek Koroneiki olives. And from our all-natural spice collection: Sweet Spanish Paprika.
- SAVE! Try our Greek extra virgin olive oil bundle and our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle! Or create your own 6-pack spice bundle from our organic and all-natural collections!
- Category: Appetizer, Breakfast, Dinner
- Method: Stovetop and Baked
- Cuisine: Spanish
Keywords: Spanish Tortilla, How to Make Spanish Tortilla