O hi! Pardon me as I wipe my mouth clean; I just inhaled a few too many stuffed dates wrapped in bacon! Those little sweet n’ spicy poppers are so hard to resist!
My dad is a fruit nut! I think I shared with you about our frequent trips to the Port Said market in this fig pastry post; dates were on the grocery list whenever they were in season. My family enjoyed them simply as an evening snack perhaps next to tea.
Although dates are good all by themselves, this recipe for stuffed dates wrapped in bacon takes them to a whole new level. Crispy on the outside, melt-in-your-mouth on the inside. When you bake these Medjool dates, they become tender and buttery releasing a little of their sweetness into the warm stuffing of goat cheese and jalapeno. A wrap of salty crispy bacon brings everything together. Finish with a drizzle of good honey.
If you get excited about facts; these ancient fruit called dates are super nutritious packed with iron, potassium, vitamin A, B-vitamins and more. Dates are probably one of the healthiest foods in the world; although they do pack some sugar:-) You can read more in this foodfacts article detailing all sorts of info like: dates were first introduced in the United States in 1927.
One thing that really excites me about this recipe is how easily you can adapt it to make more or less. I made 10 stuffed dates wrapped in bacon only because I had a few bacon strips left over from my mac & cheese casserole.
Let’s make these decadent poppers!
Step-by-step for stuffed dates wrapped in bacon:
Preheat oven to 425F.
Prepare 10 pieces of bacon (about 2 1/2-inch in length each).
Slice one jalapeno pepper in half lengthwise. Take one half, seed and slice into thin half-moon pieces.
Prepare 10 small pitted dry dates; and three ounces of room temperature goat cheese.
Stuff each date with goat cheese; smooth goat cheese with your spoon. Next add one piece of the sliced jalapeno. Give the date a small squeeze to bring together.
Now wrap tightly with bacon; bacon will overlap making somewhat of a “seam.”
Place stuffed wrapped dates, seam side down, on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake in 425F-heated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until bacon browns nicely. Remove from oven.
Using tongs, transfer dates to your serving dish. Top each with one more piece of jalapeno and drizzle with honey. Enjoy!
Stuffed dates wrapped in bacon make the perfect appetizer! Warm sweet dates stuffed with goat cheese and jalapeno wrapped in bacon. Finish with more jalapeno and a drizzle of good honey. Delicious!
- 10 pitted dry dates
- 10 pieces of bacon, each 2 1/2-inch in length
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded, sliced into thin half-moon pieces
- Open dates and stuff with goat cheese; smooth goat cheese with your spoon. Add one piece of jalapeno. Squeeze dates gently to bring everything together.
- Now wrap each stuffed date tightly with one piece of bacon. Bacon will overlap making somewhat of a “seam.”
- Place stuffed wrapped dates, seam side down, on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in 425 F-heated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until bacon browns nicely. Remove from oven.
- Using tongs, transfer to a serving dish.
- Top each with one more piece of jalapeno and drizzle with honey.
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Stuffed Dates, Bacon Wrapped Dates, Dates
Try these delicious recipes: