BEST baked spaghetti recipe! A comforting pasta casserole that is on the healthy-ish side using less cheese (part-skim, when possible). The kicker is in the easy, flavor-packed homemade spaghetti sauce. The perfect texture and balance of flavors!
- 1 lb thin spaghetti (whole grain spaghetti, if you like)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta (I used this one)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella (non-fat, if possible), more to your liking
For Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 1/4 cup Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely grated (I used this box grater)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- 1/4 cup each fresh torn basil and chopped parsley leaves
- Crushed red pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the sauce. In a large oven-proof pan or braiser like this one, heat the olive oil over medium until just shimmering. Add the onions. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the garlic and carrots and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Now add the crushed tomatoes, water, a generous pinch of salt and pepper, oregano, and paprika.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring regularly. Turn heat down to low, cover and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes (occasionally check and give the sauce a stir).
- While sauce is simmering, cook the pasta to al dente according to package. Drain and rinse.
- When sauce is ready, uncover and add the cooked pasta. Stir until pasta is well-coated.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, ricotta and grated Parmesan. Add the mixture to the spaghetti. Stir until well-combined.
- Top the pasta with shredded mozzarella. Transfer to oven, uncovered.
- Bake in 375 degrees F heated-oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melty and bubbly. If you like to give the top of the baked spaghetti some color and crunch, simply switch to broil briefly (watch carefully).
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh basil and parsley. Add crushed peppers, if you like. Enjoy!
- Recommended for This Recipe: Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). And from our all-natural spice collection: Sweet Spanish Paprika.
- SAVE! Try our olive oil bundle or our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle! Create your own 6-pack from our all-natural or organic spice collections!
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean/Vegetarian
Keywords: Baked spaghetti, hearty vegetarian spaghetti, spaghetti casserole, pasta