How about a hearty bowl of sage-wine braised beef short ribs and potatoes?
- Seasoned salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika (hot paprika preferred)
- 1 tsp ground green cardamom
- 3 lb bone-in beef short ribs; ask the butcher to trim fat and cut short ribs into smaller 3-inch pieces
- Vegetable oil
- 2-3 large russet potatoes, peeled, washed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 celery stalks roughly chopped
- 1 large red onion roughly chopped
- 5 large garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 4-5 cups low-sodium beef broth
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Combine 1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt, 1 tsp pepper, paprika and ground cardamom in a small bowl. Spice short ribs generously on all sides.
- In a French/Dutch oven or heavy braising pot, heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil. Deeply brown the short ribs on all sides on medium-high heat. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pot if needed and bring heat to medium, saute the potatoes, celery, and red onion, for about 10 minutes; toss occasionally. Season the vegetables lightly with seasoned salt and black pepper. Remove from pot and set aside briefly.
- Now in the same pot, add diced tomatoes, garlic, sage, and bay leaves. Cook together for 5-7 minutes or until the tomato turns a rusty red. Then stir in the flour to coat the tomatoes.
- Add the red wine and broth, and raise the heat. Cook over high heat until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 7 minutes. Add a dash of seasoned salt to your taste.
- Now add the meat and sauteed vegetables back to the pot, and let everything cook together on medium-high, uncovered, for about 5-7 more minutes.
- Cover the pot and transfer to the 300 degree F-heated oven for two hours or until short ribs are fork-tender. Serve in bowls with your favorite crusty bread!
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Braised Beef, Beef Short Ribs, Short Ribs, Beef and Potatoes