For this recipe, I chose to pair my red lentils with sweet potato, for an autumn-appropriate vegetarian dish. The subtle sweetness of the sweet potato is nicely enveloped in the warmth and earthiness of mild curry, paprika and bay leaf. You will be surprised how exquisite lentils can taste with this combination of flavors!
- Olive oil
- 1 large red onion, halved, divided, chop one half of the onion and thinly slice the other half
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cubed into approximately 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp mild yellow curry
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 15-oz cans vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Prepare ingredients as indicated above.
- In a non-stick pan or skillet, heat one tbsp of olive oil. Saute sliced onions on medium-high until fairly brown and crispy. Remove onions onto a paper towel to drain.
- In a large pot, heat three tbsp of olive oil. Add chopped onions, sweet potato and celery and saute on medium-high, stirring occasionally, for five minutes or until slightly tender.
- Now add garlic, curry, seasoned salt, paprika and bay leaf. Toss together briefly.
- Pour in three cans of vegetable broth. Cook on medium-high and bring to a boil.
- As broth is boiling, stir in rinsed red lentils.
- Continue to cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for three to four minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for another five to seven minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Test to make sure vegetables and lentils are fully cooked and tender. Adjust spices as needed.
- To finish, stir in heavy cream and let cook briefly to warm through.
- Serve with a garnish of the browned and crispy onions prepared earlier. Add your favorite bread. Enjoy!
- For a vegan version of this soup, add one cup of vegetable broth earlier and omit the last step of string in heavy cream.
- You can make this soup one night ahead. Be sure to stop at step #9, let cool and refrigerate over night. Before serving, follow step #10 by heating the soup well and stirring in the heavy cream.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives!)
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Entree/Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Curried Red Lentils, Soup, Lentil Soup, Sweet Potato soup, Curry,