An all star Mediterranean fish fillet recipe. Fish fillets prepared shakshuka-style in a sauce of fresh tomatoes, peppers and spices. 30 mins; tutorial
For Lebanese Rice see this recipe
For the Fish Fillet Recipe
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dry dill weed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 large yellow onion (or sweet onion), chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (or 1 green bell pepper if you prefer mild)
- 5 medium ripe tomatoes, diced or chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 2 lb cod fillet cut into large 4 to 6-ounce pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Make the Lebanese rice first, according to this recipe (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the coriander, sumac, cumin, dill and turmeric to make the spice mix. Set aside until needed
- In a large, deep skillet (with a cover) heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Saute the onions for 2 minutes then add the garlic and jalapeno. Cook on medium-high, stirring regularly, until fragrant and golden in color, about 2 more minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes and only 1/2 of the spice mix (keeping the remainder of the spice mix for later use). Add the tomato paste, lime juice, water, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a high simmer, then turn the heat down to medium-low. Cover and cook the tomato mixture for 10 more minutes; stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, season the fish fillets lightly with salt and pepper and coat on both sides with the remaining 1/2 of the spice mix.
- Gently add the fish fillets to the tomato mixture, nestling the fish pieces nicely in it. Cook on medium-high briefly, then reduce the heat to medium. Cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the fish is cooked through (it should be flaky).
- Remove from heat and top with the fresh parsley and mint leaves. Serve immediately in bowls with Lebanese rice or your favorite crusty bread.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Seafood
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean seafood recipe, shakshuka