If you're looking for a healthy egg salad that is anything but average, this recipe is the one for you! Prepared Mediterranean-style, this simple egg salad with avocados, fresh herbs, crunchy garden veggies is loaded with texture and bright flavor. Low carb and gluten free.
- 8 eggs, hard boiled and peeled (see notes for cooking instructions)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper (sweet chili pepper, you can find it here), divided
- 1 tsp sumac, divided
- Fresh parsley, large handful, chopped
- Fresh mint, large handful, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil)
- 4 Campari tomatoes or small Roma tomatoes (191 grams), quartered
- 1/2 English cucumber, cubed
- 1 to 2 avocados, pit removed, cubed
- 1/4 cup (26 grams) chopped red onions
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- Peel hard boiled eggs and slice them into quarters.
- Place sliced eggs in a mixing bowl. Season with a pinch of kosher salt, black pepper, and about 1 1/2 tsp of the Aleppo chili pepper. Throw in fresh parsley and mint, and add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Toss to combine. Transfer seasoned eggs to a serving platter. Clean the mixing bowl to use again.
- Place tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, chopped red onions in the mixing bowl. Season with kosher salt, black pepper, 1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper and 1/2 tsp sumac. Add lemon juice and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Toss to combine.
- Top the eggs with the chopped salad. Serve at room temperature or chill for a few minutes.
- Cook's Tips: Hard boiled eggs need to be fully cooled before using in this recipe. You can boil the eggs ahead of time (1 night in advance).
- How to Boil Eggs on Stovetop: Arrange eggs in one layer in a saucepan. Cover with water by about 2 inches or so. Heat the pot over high heat and bring the water to a rolling boil (add about 1/2 tsp of salt to water to help prevent eggs from cracking and to make them easier to peel.) Turn heat off Cover and let sit for about 10 to 12 minutes or so for hard boiled eggs. You can remove the eggs earlier (at 6 or 7 minutes) if you prefer them a bit soft and creamier in the center.
- Prepare Ahead Option. If you want to prepare parts of this salad ahead of time, you can. I don't prefer to mix the eggs and veggies until a few minutes before serving though. You can certainly boil the eggs in advance. You can also prep the different veggies for the salad about 1 day or so in advance. Wait on the avocado and hold spices, olive oil and lemon juice. When you are ready to serve, dress the salad and follow recipe instructions for assembling.
- Leftovers. If you have leftovers of this healthy egg salad, already mixed with the veggies, you can store it in the fridge in a tight-lid container for 1 night. Enjoy cold or at room temperature.
- Visit Our Online Shop to browse our all-natural spices including Aleppo pepper and sumac and our extra virgin olive oils, including Early Harvest Greek EVOO!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Healthy egg salad, egg salad recipe, how to boil eggs for egg salad