Homemade baklava with layers of perfectly crispy phyllo and a nut mixture of walnuts, pistachios and hazelnut nestled in between. Make the honey simple syrup while the baklava is baking, but be sure it is completely cool before pouring on hot-out-of-the-oven baklava. This ensures best taste. See more tips and step-by-step tutorial and video in the post!
- 6 oz shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 6 oz walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 6 oz hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- large pinch of ground cloves
- 16-oz package phyllo dough, thawed
- 18 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tbsp orange extract
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set aside 3-4 tbsp of chopped pistachios for garnish. Combine the remaining chopped nuts in a mixing bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the sugar, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Stir to mix.
- Unroll phyllo and measure briefly against a 13 “x 9″ x 2” baking pan. Trim a little of the phyllo to better fit your baking dish.
- Now spread the phyllo sheet on top of a damp towel, and cover with a second damp towel. This will help keep the phyllo dough from breaking while you work to assemble the baklava.
- Lightly brush the baking dish with a bit of the melted butter. Take one sheet or two of phyllo and line the baking pan with it, fold in any excess. Brush the phyllo with butter and gently press in the corners and sides of the baking pan.
- Lay another couple sheets on top, brush with butter, and press into the pan as you have done with the first couple sheets. Continue layering and buttering each layer until you have used up 1/3 of the phyllo package. Distribute half of the nut mixture evenly over the top sheet.
- Layer another 1/3 of the phyllo following the same process as before. Now distribute the remaining half of the nut mixture over the top layer.
- Layer the remaining phyllo sheets following the same process as before.
- If needed, trim off excess phyllo. Generously brush the very top layer of phyllo with butter.
- With a knife, cut diagonal lines, 1/2 inch deep, in the phyllo to make out 1 1/2 inch diamond pieces. Do not press the knife all the way down.
- Bake on a low rack for 45 mins to 1 hour, or until golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. IMPORTANT…Because ovens vary, be sure to check your baklava half way through baking.
- While the baklava is baking, make the honey syrup. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat stove-top, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Add the honey, orange extract, and whole cloves; stir to mix. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer for about 25 minutes. Remove syrup from heat and let cool to lukewarm. Add lemon juice. Remove the whole cloves.
- When ready, remove the baklava from the oven and immediately pour the cooled honey syrup to cover the entire hot baklava. Let set to completely absorb the syrup.
- A few hours later, cut the baklava carefully through the earlier marked pieces. Serve with a garnish of chopped pistachios.
- Recommended for this recipe: Cake Pan or Stoneware Baking Pan
- Before you begin assembling your baklava, place the thawed phyllo sheets in between two clean and slightly damp kitchen towels. This helps the phyllo sheets remain lenient so they won’t tear or break too much.
- IMPORTANT…Because ovens vary, be sure to check your baklava half way through baking.
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Baklava, How to Make Baklava