This is a power bowl type of dinner. Mayo-free Mediterranean Coleslaw with Salmon served in flat bread bowls! A perfect weeknight dinner in 30 minutes or less.
For the Flatbread Bowls
- 4-6 Flatout® Flatbread (Protein Up or your choice), thawed
For the coleslaw dressing
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp ground sumac, more if you like
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
For the Coleslaw
- 1/3 whole green cabbage head, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1/3 whole red cabbage head, thinly sliced or chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 6 radishes, trimmed, chopped or sliced into thin sticks
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 green onions, trimmed, and chopped (both the green and white parts)
- 2 cups chopped parsley leaves
- 2 cups chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger root
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas (optional, to be added at the end)
For the Salmon
- Prepare the bread bowls. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil the bottom of an oven-safe cup or the empty tin can of chickpeas, then place it upside down on a baking sheet. Place a FlatOut wrap on top (see photo below) and bake in oven for 5-7 minutes until browned and you can feel the wrap harden. Remove from the heat and let cool briefly, then carefully remove from the cup or tin can. Repeat with all 4 wraps (or use 4 cups or cans and do them all at once). Set the FlatOut bread bowls aside. Raise the oven heat to 425 degrees F so that it is ready for baking the salmon later.
- Prepare the coleslaw dressing. Simply place the lemon juice, vinegar, extra virgin olive oil in a small mixing bowl and whisk. Add the garlic and spices and whisk again to combine.
- Now prepare the coleslaw. Place the coleslaw vegetables with the fresh parsley, mint and grated ginger root in a large mixing bowl. Hold the chickpeas for later, if using. Toss gently.
- Top the coleslaw with the dressing you prepared earlier. Toss to combine. Set aside while you continue working or cover and refrigerate for later (or even over night).
- Now bake the salmon. Place the salmon on a lightly oiled baking pan. Season with the salt, pepper and the remaining spices. Top with lemon juice and a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Bake in the now 425 degrees F heated oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and break into smaller bite-sized pieces.
- Assemble the coleslaw salmon bowls. Now, simply fill the 4 FlatOut bread bowls with the coleslaw. Top each coleslaw portion with the chickpeas you held earlier. Finally add the salmon. Enjoy!
- Quick Tip: This recipe is great for entertaining a large group. As it is, it can feed up to 6 people, and you can easily double the ingredients to serve more. Prepare the bread bowls and slaw earlier. Bake the salmon just before you are ready for dinner. Spread everything out buffet-style, and let your guests make their own coleslaw and salmon dinner bowls!
- Recommended for this Recipe: Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives!)
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean Bowl, Salmon, Coleslaw and Salmon Bowl, Salmon Bowl