Easy homemade salsa recipe with a Mediterranean twist! Fresh tomato salsa made with sweet cherry tomatoes, shallots, garlic and loads of fresh herbs. Olives and jalapeno are optional, but highly recommended. Great with pita chips as an appetizer, or use it as a topping on top of grilled steak, Mediterranean grilled chicken and more!
- 12 oz cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 to 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 6 to 7 pitted kalamata olives, chopped (optional)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional if you want to add spice)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp sumac
- 2 to 3 tsp lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil)
- Place quartered cherry tomatoes, chopped shallots, minced garlic, chopped fresh herbs, chopped kalamata olives (if using), and chopped jalapeno (if using) in a mixing bowl.
- Season with kosher shalt, pepper, and sumac (start with a heaping 1/2 tsp sumac, add more late if needed). Toss gently.
- Add lemon juice and a generous drizzle of quality extra virgin olive oil (I used Early Harvest EVOO). Toss to combine. Set aside for a few minutes to let the flavors marry.
- Serve with pita chips or chips of your choice. Enjoy!
- Cook’s Tip: Double this recipe, particularly if you’re serving more than 4 people, it goes fast!
- Cook’s Tip for Prepare Ahead: You can prep the ingredients ahead of time (up to 1 evening in advance), but do not mix or season, and do not add lemon juice or olive oil. Store in the fridge. A few minutes before serving, add the seasoning and lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Give everything a toss and set aside until ready to serve.
- Leftovers? You can refrigerate leftovers in a tight-lid glass container for 2 nights or so.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives) and Sumac spice (from Mediterranean sumac berries). Find them both and more at our online shop.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Homemade Salsa, Fresh Tomato Salsa, Fresh Salsa, Small Batch Salsa