Delicious olive oil fried Brussels sprouts tossed with mushrooms, cranberries and hazelnut! The perfect vegan and gluten free side dish!
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz baby portabello mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and sliced
- 1.5 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 to 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped hazelnuts
- In a large cast iron skillet like this one, heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil on medium high until shimmering but not smoking. Add mushrooms. Cook, tossing regularly, until browned (about 5 minutes). Season with salt, and transfer the mushrooms to a plate until later.
- Return skillet to stove-top. Add 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and heat on medium high. Add Brussels sprouts and onions (if you have to, do this in batches, don't crowd the pan). Season with garlic powder, cardamom and cinnamon. Cook, turning occasionally, until the sprouts are crisp and golden brown (even charred in some spots). Onions will cook down and caramelize. Season generously with salt.
- Return the mushrooms to the pan to warm up (a couple minutes longer).
- Turn heat off. Add lemon juice and toss. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Add a finishing drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Toss in the cranberries and hazelnuts.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Enjoy!
- Cooking note: Brussels sprouts (all ingredients for that matter) should be completely dry before frying. Any water clinging to the sprouts will cause the oil to splatter.
- Recommended for this recipe: Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). SAVE! Try our Greek olive oil bundle!
- And from our All-Natural Spice collection: Ground Green Cardamom. SAVE! Try our Mediterranean Spice Essentials Bundle; Or Create your own 6-pack or 3-pack spice bundle!
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Fried Brussels Sprouts