I have so been looking forward to sharing this recipe for my phyllo meat rolls! For a while, I debated between calling them phyllo dough meat rolls or meat cigars. I landed on rolls, but don't you think they kinda look like cigars? 🙂
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp allspice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 cup for later
Additional filling ingredients
- 5 oz creamy feta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 16-20 Phyllo sheets
- 1 egg, mixed with little water (egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add onions and saute briefly on medium-high.
- Add ground beef and spices. Cook on medium-high, stirring occasionally, until ground beef is fully cooked and browned (about 8 minutes). Set aside to cool slightly.
- When ground beef has cooled, combine it with the additional filling ingredients.
- Take 16 phyllo pastry sheets, more if needed, and lay them carefully in a large tray. Cover with a slightly damp kitchen towel (this will keep phyllo pastry from cracking or breaking).
- Take two sheets of phyllo and lay them on a large cutting board. Brush phyllo generously with olive oil. With a good knife, cut right down the middle forming two long phyllo strips (see picture)
- Take one phyllo strip and begin to make your first roll. Take a spoonful of the meat-cheese mixture and place on the short end of phyllo strip (the end closest to you). Roll away from you two times.
- Fold in the phyllo strip sides all the way, and then continue to roll phyllo toward the other end (see picture).
- Brush with a little more olive oil and egg wash. Place your first phyllo roll on a large and lightly oiled baking sheet. Repeat with the other phyllo strip.
- Repeat with the process with remaining phyllo, working with two phyllo sheets at-a-time. You should end up with 16 phyllo dough meat rolls lined up nicely in your large baking sheet.
- Place the phyllo rolls in the 400 degree F oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Serve warm.
- You can add your favorite yogurt dip or sauce next to these phyllo meat rolls for dipping.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Meat Rolls, Phyllo Dough, Phyllo Meat Rolls,