Shallots, garlic and mushrooms cooked in a little EVOO and ghee and adorned with a couple warm spices. A decadent side dish or warm appetizer! Heck, serve it with rice or couscous as a vegetarian lunch!
- 2 tbsp/ 30 ml Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil, more for later
- 2 tbsp/ 23 g Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 lb/ 453 g shallots, peeled
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 thyme springs
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lb/ 453 g baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- 1/2 lb/ 226 g white mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika (or try 1/2 tsp harissa spice blend!)
- 1 cup low-sodium broth (vegetable or chicken broth is fine)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
Ricotta Topping (optional)
- 1 cup reduced fat ricotta cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- In a large skillet like this one, heat extra virgin olive oil and ghee over medium heat until shimmering. Add shallots, garlic, thyme springs and cinnamon sticks. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shallots begin to soften.
- Raise heat to medium-high and add both kinds of mushrooms (you probably need a drizzle more extra virgin olive oil here.) Cook, tossing occasionally, for 5 minutes. Season with kosher salt, pepper, and a pinch sweet paprika (or for a more exciting twist, try harissa spice)
- Now add broth and bring to a high simmer for about 10 minutes or so until the liquid has reduced by a lot (it should almost disappear, but not quite.)
- Finally, stir in fresh parsley and remove from heat.
- To make ricotta topping (optional), simply whisk ricotta cheese with lemon zest and a drizzle of Early Harvest EVOO.
- Serve these decadent mushrooms as a side dish with a dollop of the ricotta topping, a little crusty bread won’t hurt. These are also great or on top of cooked instant couscous, Lebanese rice, or your favorite grain.
- Cook’s Tip for Leftovers: leftovers can be stored in the fridge in a tight-lid glass container for 3 nights or so. Warm leftovers in skillet over medium heat (add a little liquid if needed.)
- Find all-natural sweet paprika or harissa spice along with many other spices at The Mediterranean Dish store! Create your own 6-pack of spices, and be sure to check out our Greek extra virgin olive oils (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives!)
- Recipe adapted from Plenty More
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mushroom Recipe, Mushroom Stew, Garlic Mushrooms