If you're into pie or tart making, this sweet-n-savory feta strawberry tart is a must-try! The flaky fillo (phyllo) crust makes a great, delicate and lighter alternative to the usual tart shell. Be sure to see the step-by-step photos below the recipe.
- 16 oz. fresh strawberries, cleaned, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 14 Fillo (phyllo) sheets The Fillo Factory Organic Fillo Dough
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil PLUS 2 tbsp melted butter (mixed together in a bowl), more if needed.
- 2-3 tbsp crushed unsalted pistachios
- Handful torn fresh basil leaves
For the Cheese Filling
- 5 oz. creamy feta cheese, at room temperature, crumbled or cut into small chunks
- 5 oz. goat cheese (or cream cheese, if you prefer), at room temperature, cut into small chunks
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
Balsamic Reduction (optional)
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Be sure to have an oven rack positioned in the middle.
- Place strawberry slices in a bowl and add sugar. Toss to combine. Transfer to a colander and set aside for now.
- If using balsamic reduction, make it now. Simply combine balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for another 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool (it will thicken as it cools).
- Make the cheese filling. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a mixing blade, add feta, goat cheese (or cream cheese), olive oil, and honey. Run processor until you have a smooth, spreadable paste (you may stop a few times to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a wooden spoon). Set aside for now.
- Carefully roll the fillo sheets on a slightly damp kitchen towel. Cover the fillo with another slightly damp kitchen towel (this keeps the fillo sheets from breaking).
- Prepare an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom like this one. Lightly brush the pan with the olive oil and butter mixture.
- Assemble the fillo crust. Take two fillo sheets and arrange them in the bottom of the pan with short side against the sides of the pan. Brush with the olive oil and butter mixture. Lay 2 more fillo sheets across the top and brush with oil (rotated a half-turn in the opposite direction, so that the edges hang over the long side of the first sheet. You are trying to create a circle). Again brush generously with the olive oil and butter mixture. Repeat with the remaining fillo, laying 2 sheets at a time, and alternating the direction of the sheets as you place over the last 2 sheets. Brush the top layer with the olive oil and butter mixture.
- Carefully pull up the sides of the fillo. Whimsically fold the sides in to create edges.
- Now, spread the cheese filling evenly on top of the fillo crust and top with crushed pistachios.
- Place the tart pan on top of a larger sheet pan. Slide onto the middle rack of the heated oven. Bake in heated oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese filling melts and the fillo crust crisps up turning a beautiful golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside so that the cheese cools and sets completely.
- Now, simply sprinkle the torn basil leaves on top. Assemble the strawberries in circles until you run out.
- To serve, slice the strawberry tart into equal pieces (8 pieces or 16 smaller pieces); drizzle each piece with the balsamic reduction, if you like. Enjoy!
- Oven strengths vary, be sure to check after first 10 minutes. You want a crispy golden brown fillo crust.
- See tips for making fillo crust above. Step-by-step photos below.
- Recommended for this recipe: The Fillo Factory Organic Fillo Dough; Our Private Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Strawberry Tart, Tart, Dessert, Fillo, Phyllo, Fruit Tart