This healthy, vegetarian sweet potato stew will surprise your taste buds in the best way possible! Loaded with chunks of melt-in-your mouth sweet potatoes, tender carrots, tomatoes, and wilted baby spinach. It gets a little Eastern Mediterranean flare with a few warm spices like cumin and turmeric.
The best way to serve this hearty vegan stew is over quick-cooked couscous or with a piece of crusty whole wheat bread. It’s the perfect warm-your-belly comfort meal. Bonus – slow cooker and Instant Pot options!
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek EVOO)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and cubed
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes with their juices
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, add the spices (coriander, cumin, Aleppo pepper, and turmeric). Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally and making sure garlic does not burn.
- Now, add carrots and sweet potatoes. Season with kosher salt, black pepper, and the spice mixture you prepared earlier. Raise the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 to 5 minutes or so.
- Add diced tomatoes (and their juices), and broth. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes or so, then turn the heat to low. Cover the pot only part-way, allowing an opening at the top for the stew to "breath." Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fully cooked and tender.
- Finally, stir in the baby spinach and fresh parsley. Remove from heat, and finish with a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve over quick-cooked couscous or with your favorite crusty bread. Enjoy!
- Slow Cooker Option: In your slow cooker, add chopped onions, garlic, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and spice mixture. Dump in the canned tomatoes and the broth and give it a good stir to combine the ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. You want the veggies to get tender. About 5-10 minutes before done, stir in the spinach and parsley. Turn off the slow cooker and serve!
- Instant Pot Option: Put your Instant Pot on “sauté” and add the olive oil. Add your garlic and onions and cook for 3 or so minutes, stir so the garlic doesn’t burn. Now add the chopped carrots and sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, and spice mixture. Cook for 4 minutes and stir everything around. Add the canned tomatoes and broth. Stir. Hit cancel on our Instant Pot and lock the lid with the valve in the sealing position. Select the manual function and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow natural release for 10 minutes, then follow with quick release. Simply stir in spinach and parsley and allow to sit for a couple of minutes.
- Visit Our Online Shop to browse all-natural and organic spices, extra virgin olive oils, couscous and more!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 33 mins
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stewed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Sweet Potato Stew, Vegetarian Sweet Potato Stew