Baked zucchini casserole recipe, prepared Mediterranean-style. Layers of zucchini, carrots, onions w/ a perfectly spiced meat sauce. Low Carb. Gluten Free.
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, halved (chop half of the onion and slice the other into rings)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef (97% lean) or ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups chopped canned tomatoes with the juice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 to 3 zucchini, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 carrots, sliced into thin rounds
- Generous handful chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tbsp Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add chopped onions (leave the sliced onions for later) and garlic and cook minutes, stirring regularly, until softened and fragrant (do not brown).
- Add meat (ground turkey or lean ground beef). Break the meat up to help it brown. Season with salt and pepper. Raise heat to medium-high and cook meat until fully browned, stirring occasionally. If there is any fat or extra liquid at this point, carefully drain and return saucepan back to heat.
- Now season with allspice, paprika, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Add chopped canned tomatoes with juice, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes or so. Remove from heat.
- Add zucchini, carrots, and sliced onions to the bottom of a casserole dish like this one. Add the meat sauce and spread evenly.
- Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil. Bake in 375 degrees F heated-oven for about 40 minutes. Then uncover, and then broil for a brief few minutes, watching carefully.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh parsley. Transfer to dinner bowls, add a drizzle of Private Reserve EVOO. Serve with Lebanese rice or your favorite crusty bread.
- Prepare ahead instructions: you can make this casserole the night before you need to serve it. Follow the recipe up to the first part only of step #7, you can bake covered for 40 minutes, but do not return to the oven for the last few minutes. Let it cool completely before covering and saving in the fridge. You can simply heat uncovered in a slightly lower temperature (350 degrees F heated) oven until warmed through. If you feel the casserole needs a little bit of liquid so it doesn't dry while heating, add just a little bit of water.
- Store any leftovers in a glass tight-lid container in your fridge for 3 days or so. Or freeze portions as you like (thaw in fridge overnight).
- Recommended for this recipe: Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). SAVE! Try our Greek EVOO Bundle.
- Recommended for this recipe from our all-natural spice collections: allspice, Spanish paprika, and nutmeg. SAVE! Create your own 3-pack or 6-pack from our all-natural or organic spice collections. Or try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle!
- Category: Entree or Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
Keywords: Zucchini casserole, zucchini recipe, baked zucchini casserole, zucchini casserole with ground beef, low carb zucchini casserole, keto zucchini casserole, Mediterranean zucchini