Easy, tender baked fish infused with garlic and basil. The secret to this juicy fish is in the quick fish marinade with a few spices, garlic, fresh basil, a little citrus and extra virgin olive oil.
- 2 lb fish fillet like halibut
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek EVOO)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 bell peppers any color, sliced (I used 1 red and 1 green bell pepper)
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- Pat fish fillet dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the fish in a large zip-top bag. Add the oregano, coriander, paprika, minced garlic, basil, extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Zip the bag shut and massage to be sure the fish is evenly coated in the marinade. Marinated for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour in the fridge (see notes).
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Arrange bell peppers and shallots in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Place the fish on top and pour the marinade over it.
- Bake in heated oven for 15 minutes or until fish is done and flakes easily.
- Tip for how long to marinade fish: I used halibut fillet in this recipe and I typically marinate it about 30 minutes. Thicker fish steaks like tuna or swordfish could be marinated for 1 to 2 hours, but that is not the kind of fish I would recommend for this recipe.
- How to know if your fish is cooked? To be sure your halibut (or fish fillet) is cooked, use an instant read thermometer to check at the thickest part of the fish. Internal temperature should register 145 degrees F and your fish should be opaque and should flake easily with a fork.
- Visit our Online Shop to browse quality Mediterranean ingredients including Private Reserve Greek EVOO and all natural and organic spices used in this recipe!
- Category: Fish and Seafood
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Baked Fish, Baked Fish Fillet, Halibut Recipe