A rustic, flavor-packed white bean dip with a Mediterranean twist. Pass the warm pita, and you'll have a happy crowd!
- 1 Acorn squash
- Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3/4 tsp Spanish paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground sumac
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, more if you prefer a spicier dip
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Flat leaf parsley for garnish
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts for garnish
- 2 tbsp toasted slivered almonds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place acorn squash in microwave and heat on high for 3 minutes (this will make it easier to cut through the tough skin).
- Carefully cut acorn squash in half through the stem. And using a spoon, scoop seeds out. (You can discard seeds, or clean and toast them to use as garnish or otherwise)
- Sprinkle squash with salt, then place them flesh side down on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Roast in 400 degrees F heated-oven for 40 minutes or so until flesh is tender and slightly browned around edges.
- While squash is roasting, prepare caramelized shallots. In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil over medium-high. Add shallots and saute until caramelized, tossing regularly. Season with salt.
- When squash is ready, remove from oven and let cool. Scoop out the flesh and discard shell.
- In the bowl of a large food processor fitted with blade, add 1/2 amount of shallots (keep remainder for garnish); squash (flesh only); white beans; all the spices; sprinkle of salt. Add lemon juice and 3 tbsp Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil. Close the top of your processor and blend until you achieve a smooth dip. Taste and adjust salt or add more of the spices to your liking. Blend again.
- Transfer dip to a serving bowl. Add a drizzle of olive oil, parsley leaves, and toasted nuts. Enjoy with warm pita, pita chips or crackers!
- Make Ahead Instructions: you can make this dip one night in advance. Simply follow recipe up to step 8. Transfer to glass container with tight light. Refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge a few minutes before serving and follow step #9
- Recommended for this Recipe: our Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). And from our all-natural and organic spice collections, Spanish Paprika; Cumin; Coriander; and Sumac.
- SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle; or create your own 6-pack from our all-natural and organic collections. And for the best extra virgin olive oil, try our Greek extra virgin olive oil bundle!
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Dip, Bean dip, Dip with Roasted Squash, Mediterranean Bean Dip