A simple, hearty and satisfying twist on caprese salad. Creamy brown lentils make a great bed for bite-sized cherry tomatoes and baby mozzarella balls. Add a generous handful of basil. And nothing but quality olive oil and balsamic reduction for the dressing!
- 2 cups quality balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups cooked black lentils (from 1 cup dry lentils)
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz cherry or grape tomatoes
- 6 oz fresh baby Mozzarella cheese (small Mozzarella balls), non-fat or part-skim if possible
- Fresh basil leaves, torn (as many as you like)
- In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook for 10 to 20 minutes until balsamic is reduced to a thicker sauce. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Place the cooked lentils in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (about 1 tbsp to start, add more as you like). Add 2 tbsp balsamic reduction, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning or add olive oil and balsamic reduction to your liking.
- Transfer the lentils to a serving platter. Arrange tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil leaves on top. Drizzle olive oil and more balsamic reduction on top. A sprinkle more salt and pepper to your taste. Enjoy!
- This recipe will serve 6 as an appetizer or side, and fewer if you serve it as the main course.
- If you have more balsamic reduction left, simply store it in the fridge in a tightly closed mason jar.
- To cook black lentils from dry, simply add 1 cup of lentils with 4 cups of hot water in a saucepan. Simmer gently with lid tilted until tender (about 20 minutes or so). Drain.
- Recommended for this recipe: Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives).
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Counter Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Caprese Salad, Lentil Salad, Lentil, Salad, Light Salad