This caprese lentil salad recipe is a satisfying, protein-packed twist on the beloved classic. Perfect as a side, appetizer, or a simple lunch!
This seems like the week for salads at my house. First, this gorgeous pomegranate tomato salad, which I highly recommend! And today, a caprese lentil salad recipe.
I promise, I do feed my children other things. I may just be going through a bit of a Spring fever these days. Thankfully, they don’t mind.
I do love a simple stacked caprese: sliced ripe tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. But when I need something a little more hearty that can even stand on its own as lunch, it’s this caprese lentil salad recipe.
Tender, creamy black lentils make the perfect bed for bite-sized cherry tomatoes and baby mozzarella balls. Salt and pepper for seasoning, and nothing but a classic balsamic reduction and quality extra virgin olive oil for a dressing.
A little shameless plug here. Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil is the perfect option for this salad. From organically grown and processed koroneiki olives, this top quality EVOO has a fruity aroma with hints of fresh green herbs, a mild bitterness, and a peppery finish. Just the right enhancement for this lentil salad recipe. Check it out here.
A simple, hearty and satisfying twist on caprese salad. Creamy brown lentils make a great bed for bite-sized cherry tomatoes and baby mozzarella balls. Add a generous handful of basil. And nothing but quality olive oil and balsamic reduction for the dressing!
- 2 cups quality balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups cooked black lentils (from 1 cup dry lentils)
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz cherry or grape tomatoes
- 6 oz fresh baby Mozzarella cheese (small Mozzarella balls), non-fat or part-skim if possible
- Fresh basil leaves, torn (as many as you like)
- In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook for 10 to 20 minutes until balsamic is reduced to a thicker sauce. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Place the cooked lentils in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (about 1 tbsp to start, add more as you like). Add 2 tbsp balsamic reduction, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning or add olive oil and balsamic reduction to your liking.
- Transfer the lentils to a serving platter. Arrange tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil leaves on top. Drizzle olive oil and more balsamic reduction on top. A sprinkle more salt and pepper to your taste. Enjoy!
- This recipe will serve 6 as an appetizer or side, and fewer if you serve it as the main course.
- If you have more balsamic reduction left, simply store it in the fridge in a tightly closed mason jar.
- To cook black lentils from dry, simply add 1 cup of lentils with 4 cups of hot water in a saucepan. Simmer gently with lid tilted until tender (about 20 minutes or so). Drain.
- Recommended for this recipe: Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives).
More Recipes to Try
This post may include affiliate links