Crock Pot Italian Beef Stew
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian American
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lb beef chuck roast, fat-trimmed, and cut into roughly 1 1/2 inch cubes
- Olive oil
- 1 large red onion, cut into large pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4-5 large rainbow carrots (about 12 oz), cut into large pieces
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz can whole peeled tomato
- 4-5 springs fresh thyme
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- 16 oz white or cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- Mix the flour and garlic powder together.
- Pat the meat dry and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the meat into the flour mixture to coat.
- In a large cast-irons skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Brown the meat deeply for about 3-4 minutes on each side; crust should form. Remove from heat.
- Now, place the browned meat in the bottom of a large crock pot. Add the remaining ingredients except the mushrooms. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 4 1/2 hours. Add the sliced mushrooms. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes or so.
- Enjoy with your favorite Italian bread or even homemade challah!