Easy, rustic Italian Beef Stew made right in your crock pot or slow cooker! Only a few minutes to prep this comforting meal.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lb beef chuck roast, fat-trimmed, and cut into roughly 1 1/2 inch cubes
- Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, cut into large pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4-5 large rainbow carrots (about 12 oz), cut into large pieces
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz can whole peeled tomato
- 4-5 springs fresh thyme
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- 16 oz white or cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- Mix the flour and garlic powder together.
- Pat the meat dry and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the meat into the flour mixture to coat.
- In a large cast-irons skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Brown the meat deeply for about 3-4 minutes on each side; crust should form. Remove from heat.
- Now, place the browned meat in the bottom of a large crock pot. Add the remaining ingredients except the mushrooms. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 4 1/2 hours. Add the sliced mushrooms. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes or so.
- Enjoy with your favorite Italian bread or even homemade challah!
- Pro Tip: Do not spend too much money on your cut of beef used for this recipe. An inexpensive beef chuck roast is the best option. As it cooks slowly, the meat’s connective tissue breaks down to tender perfection. If you check your stew and find that the meat is chewy, it simply means that it needs some more time to cook.
Keywords: Beef Stew, Italian Beef Stew, Slow Cooker Beef Stew