All-star freekeh recipe turns a superfood grain into a festive vegan "stuffing" or side dish. Tons of flavor from Mediterranean spices and fresh herbs. Be sure to read the recipe notes for important tips.
- 8 oz/226.796 g freekeh
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups/ 473 ml low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups/ 240 g dried cranberries (or another dried fruit)
- 3 scallions, trimmed and chopped (both white and green parts)
- 1 cup/ 25 g parsley leaves, washed, dried, stems removed
- 1 cup/ 125 g shelled walnut halves, chopped (optional)
- Soak freekeh in water for 15 minutes. Rinse and drain. Set aside.
- In a large and deep skillet like this one, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil until shimmering but not smoking. Add chopped red onions, celery, apples and garlic. Saute for about 3-4 minutes on medium heat, tossing regularly.
- Add drained freekeh. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Add spices. Mix to combine.
- Add broth and raise temperature. Bring to a boil and continue to cook on medium-high until broth has reduced, about 3 minutes. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 7 minutes or so.
- Stir in dried cranberries. Cover again and let cook for another 7-10 minutes or until freekeh is fully cooked through (moisture should be fully absorbed.)
- Remove from heat, and mix in scallions and fresh parsley.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with toasted walnuts. Enjoy!
- Make-Ahead Tip: You can make this freekeh recipe the night before you need to serve it. Follow the recipe through step #5. Let cooked freekeh cool completely before storing in glass container with a tight lid. Refrigerate. When ready, warm over medium heat, tossing. If needed, add a tiny bit of broth or water to help the freekeh as it warms through. Finish steps #6 and #7.
- To store leftovers: You can store freekeh again in the fridge in tight-lid glass container for 2-3 days (depending on when you prepared it.) Add shredded turkey or chicken for a great lunch!
- Recommended for this Recipe: Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives.) Makes all the difference in flavor. SAVE! Try our Greek EVOO Bundle.
- Recommended for this Recipe: from our all-natural spice collection, Spanish paprika and allspice. SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle; our Mediterranean Essentials Bundle; or create your own 6-pack or 3-pack with spices of your choosing!
- Where to Buy Freekeh? If it's not available in the grains section at your local grocery store, you can buy it online. Here are two kinds we've tried that you can purchase on Amazon: Freekeh Foods and Ziyad Freekeh.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Side Dish/Vegan Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Freekeh, Freekeh Recipe, Stuffing, Grains