A quicker Fasolada (Greek Bean Soup) makes for a delicious and satisfying weeknight dinner!
- Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3 15-oz cans cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- In a heavy pot like this one, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onion, salt and pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring regularly. Now add the garlic, celery, bay leaf, and oregano. Cook 5 more minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add broth, cannelini beans, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. Raise the heat and bring to a rolling boil for 3 minutes or so. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle 2 cups of the soup into the bowl of a small food processor or blender. Blend, then return to the cooking pot. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Off heat, stir in about 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley. Transfer to serving bowls and top each bowl with another drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Serve with your favorite rustic bread.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: Bean Soup, Greek Soup, Fasolada, Vegan Bean Soup