A quicker Fasolada (Greek Bean Soup) makes for a delicious and satisfying weeknight dinner!
Fasolada is a popular Greek bean soup, occasionally referred to as the national food of the Greeks!
The star ingredients in this simple bean soup are: white beans, celery, and extra virgin olive oil–in fact, a healthy amount of quality extra virgin olive oil makes all the difference.
Some variations of Fasolada include carrots and tomatoes. And if you want to stick with tradition, you’ll want to start with dry white beans, soaked overnight.
But this recipe takes a more modern, quick-n-dirty approach!
The key difference is in using canned beans in place of dry white beans. Needless to say, this small change shaved off a few hours of soaking time, immediately transforming Fasolada into a weeknight recipe.
Yes, we take a shortcut here, but we don’t give up flavor. Absolutely not!
At the outset, I use a combination of onions, garlic, celery and bay leaf. Warm spices are stirred in to continue adding aroma and depth. Finally, a splash of zesty lemon juice and fresh parsley add brightness.
What to serve with Greek Bean Soup (Fasolada)?
When we eat fasolada for dinner, my family typically starts with a bright salad like this traditional Greek salad, or maybe even fattoush salad. No need for too many sides, just add some Greek olives and your favorite rustic bread.
Easy Greek Bean Soup (Fasolada)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3 15-oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- In a heavy pot like this one, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onion, salt and pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring regularly. Now add the garlic, celery, bay leaf,and oregano. Cook 5 more minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add broth, cannellini beans, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. Raise the heat and bring to a rolling boil for 3 minutes or so. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle 2 cups of the soup into the bowl of a small food processor or blender. Blend, then return to the cooking pot. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Off heat, stir in about 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley. Transfer to serving bowls and top each bowl with another drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Serve with your favorite rustic bread.
- Serving Size: 4
More Recipes to Try: