If you're looking for a satisfying and delicious no-lettuce salad, this Mediterranean kidney bean salad with fresh cilantro and Dijon vinaigrette is your ticket! Video and meal-prep ideas included.
Beans are a big part of Mediterranean cooking. Thankfully, they are cheap and easy to use! I keep all sorts of beans in my pantry for when I need to put together something quick an hearty. Here are a few bean recipes that readers love: Mediterranean bean soup with tomato pesto; Greek Fasolada; Vegan Quinoa Chili; Balalela; 3-bean salad; creamy bean dip.
Adding to this list, a personal favorite today: kidney bean salad with cilantro and Dijon vinaigrette.
Mediterranean Kidney Bean Salad
This is a classic Mediterranean "peasant salad." The star ingredient is one humble can of kidney beans, combined with chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, and fresh cilantro. A light, homemade Dijon vinaigrette with a dash of all-natural sumac brings it all together and provides an irresistibly fresh and zesty flavor!
A Couple Tips
Meal-Prep: to make this kidney bean salad in advance as part of meal-prep, simply mix the beans, chopped veggies and cilantro. Do not add the dressing/vinaigrette. Store the salad and dressing in the fridge in separate glass containers until ready to use. This salad should keep well for 3 to 4 days or so, if stored appropriately.
Recipe Variations: You can use a different kind of beans such as white beans, black beans, or even garbanzo beans (chickpeas). And if you're not a fan of cilantro, you can use another fresh herb of your choice like mint, dill, parsley, or basil. You can even use a couple different herbs to your liking.
What to Serve Along?
This salad is great served next to your favorite protein like souvlaki; simple lemon chicken; or salmon. And if you want to make some epic vegan bowls, add this kidney bean salad next to a few falafels and a scoop of creamy homemade hummus.
Watch the Video for How I Make This Easy Kidney Bean Salad
Kidney Bean and Cilantro Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
Simple Mediterranean kidney bean salad with garden vegetables, fresh cilantro, and homemade Dijon vinaigrette. See the video and recipe notes for variations.
- 1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ English cucumbers, chopped
- 1 Medium-sized heirloom tomato, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed, chopped (about 1 ¼ cup)
- 1 red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large lime or lemon, juice of
- 3 tbsp Private Reserve or Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp fresh garlic paste, or finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp sumac
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the kidney beans with the chopped vegetables and cilantro.
- To make the vinaigrette, in a separate small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oil, mustard, fresh garlic, sumac, and pepper.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and combine well with a large spoon. Add a dash of salt and pepper if you need to.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for half hour to an hour before serving.
- Cook's Tip: to make this kidney bean salad in advance as part of meal-prep, simply mix the beans, chopped veggies and cilantro. Do not add the addressing. Store the salad and dressing in the fridge in separate glass containers until ready to use. This salad should keep well for 3 to 4 days or so, if stored appropriately.
- Recipe Variations: You can use a different kind of beans such as white beans, black beans, or even garbanzo beans (chickpeas). And if you're not a fan of cilantro, you can use another fresh herb of your choice like mint, dill, parsley, or basil. You can even use a couple different herbs to your liking.
- Recommended for this Recipe: All-natural Sumac, and Private Reserve or Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). SAVE! Try our Greek olive oil bundle or our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle.
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Salad
- Method: Counter Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: bean salad, kidney bean salad, Mediterranean salad, Dijon Vinaigrette
Looking for more recipes to try?
Batata Harra (spicy skillet potatoes)
Greek Shrimp with Tomato and Feta
This was so good and healthy! I followed your suggestion and made a bowl out of it with falafels and hummus. So tasty!
Yum! Thanks, Raquel!
This is my second time to make this wonderful and very healthy side dish.
It's simple, full of many different flavors and if organic ingredients are used, very nutritious. Many Thanks!!!
So glad you enjoyed it, Cary!
Looks delish, but I’m perplexed at what you say is Dijon mustard - it looks nothing like it, the creamy pinkish stuff looks more like some sort of mayonnaise. Writing this from Dijon area of France, where Dijon mustard comes from ;).
Hmmm... interesting. It was definitely dijon. Must have been the lighting. It's not pinkish looking in real life :).
I make a lot of salads but this maybe my new favorite! The dressing and combination of beans with cilantro was amazing!
Awesome, Deb! Thank you for sharing
I made this for my lunch today - omg, it’s absolutely delicious! It’s lockdown in the UK but being in the sunshine in my garden and eating this - I can seriously imagine being on holiday if I close my eyes! I’ll 110% make again. Thank you for sharing. X
Awww! Thank you for sharing. So glad you enjoyed it!
As a kid growing up in Louisiana, the only kidney bean dish we made was red beans and rice, or chili. It's amazing when you move on and grow up how your taste buds can adapt to using the same ingredient but in a different way. I love this dish, esp. for lunch. It's satisfying and gives me energy to tackle a tough workout. If I told my brother who still lives in the Deep South how I eat red beans now, he'd probably laugh at me. But I'm glad I' am always willing to experiment with, well, almost , any food, as long as it's not moving. Thanks Suzy.
Hahaha! Thanks for sharing, Ellen!!