Easy weeknight dinner! That’s the name of the game with this lemon chicken recipe. And don’t let the char marks fool you, I never even fired up the grill for this. A good ol’ skillet or grill pan is all you need! Who’s in?
I have already made this lemon chicken recipe several times, and only now realized I hadn’t shared it on the blog yet! This one is so worth trying. And I don’t doubt, it will become one of your go-to weeknight meals.
Why this lemon chicken recipe works?
Of course, as the name implies, there is a lot of lemon going on here. But before the lemon hits, we cover the chicken with a quick spice mixture–dried oregano with coriander, cumin, and a hint of nutmeg. Then, we dunk the chicken in citrus-garlic marinade.
If you have the time, refrigerate the marinated chicken for up to 8 hours. But if that’s not possible, even leaving it in the spice mixture and marinade for 20 to 30 minutes will impart great flavor.
You can cook this chicken in any good o’l cast skillet or grill pan like this one. The finishing touch that is not to be missed is more lemon juice from perfectly grilled lemons!
What to serve with this Lemon Chicken?
Of course if you want to add vegetables to this skillet chicken, you totally can. Make more of the same spice mixture to season some diced vegetables–I like a combination of zucchini, onions, and red peppers.
Or, try one of these awesome Mediterranean sides: Greek green beans, roasted Greek potatoes, or Lebanese rice. Add a traditional Greek Salad or loaded Balela Salad. If you’re into dips, definitely try this roasted garlic hummus.
Because this lemon chicken is so darn quick to cook, you should make any sides or salads before you begin cooking the chicken.
Looking for More Recipes to Try?
- One-Pot Greek Chicken and Orzo
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp with Peas and Artichoke
- Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Stew
- Easy Moroccan Lamb Stew
- How to Make the Creamiest Hummus (video)
This lemon chicken recipe is an easy weeknight dinner that will not disappoint. If you have the time, let the chicken marinade in the fridge for up to 8 hours. But if not, letting it marinate at room temperature for just a few minutes even will impart flavor. See suggestions in notes for what to serve along!
For Spice Mixture
- 2 tsp /2 g dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp / 3.9 g ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp / 3.9 g ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp/ 1.9 g ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup / 80 ml lemon juice
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 tsp / 5.6 g minced garlic
- 1.5 lb (6 to 7 pieces) /681 grams boneless skinless chicken thighs (you can use chicken breast, see notes)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 lemons, halved
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- In a small bowl, add the spices and mix to make the spice mixture. And in another bowl or large measuring cup, combine the lemon juice, olive oil and garlic to make the marinade.
- Pat chicken dry and season with kosher salt and pepper. Sprinkle generously with the spice mixture on both sides.
- Place chicken in a shallow glass container or dish. Add onions. Pour in the marinade, work the chicken a bit to make sure all the pieces are well covered with the marinade. Cover. At this point, you can leave it to marinate in room temperature for about 20 to 30 minutes, or if you have the time, refrigerate for up to 8 hours (this will ensure the most flavor.)
- When ready, heat a large cast iron skillet or grill pan like this one. Do not add oil yet. Add the lemon halves, flesh-side down to grill briefly. Remove grilled lemons and set aside for now.
- In the same skillet, heat 2 tbsp Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Using a pair of tongs, add chicken pieces in one layer (discard any remaining marinade). Raise heat to medium-high if needed and cook for 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until chicken is well cooked through (internal temperature should register 165 degrees F.)
- Transfer to a serving platter. Add the grilled lemons (which you can squeeze for a little more juice), and garnish with parsley. See notes for serving ideas.
- Recipe note: you can use boneless skinless chicken breasts here instead of chicken thighs. Up to 3 chicken breasts, but be sure to cut them horizontally through the middle to create thinner cutlets. I also like to use a kitchen mallet to help tenderize the chicken breasts.
- What to Serve Along? This lemon chicken is perfect with a side of Greek Green Beans, Greek potatoes, or Lebanese rice and a large Greek salad or Balela Salad. A little roasted garlic hummus makes the perfect starter. Be sure to prepare any sides or salads before you make the chicken, since it cooks pretty quickly.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives. SAVE! Try our Greek Olive Oil Bundle!
- Recommended Spices for this Recipe: coriander, cumin, and nutmeg. SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle, or create your own 3-pack or 6-pack from our all-natural and organic spice collections.
Keywords: Lemon chicken, Mediterranean chicken recipe, chicken thighs