This flavor-packed Greek green bean salad is the ultimate low-carb, low-calorie, gluten free dish. Make ahead and serve it at room temperature. And if you’re serving a crowd, this is a great one to add to your Mezze choices!
This is what I call a “stupid easy recipe.” It’s the kind of no-fuss dish that I imagine Greek Yiayias whipping up on a whim. But this simple Greek green bean salad is so much more than the sum of its humble parts.
Why this Green Bean Salad works?
Greeks, as do other people of the Mediterranean, like their beans more on the tender, well-done side. But to make sure they keep their bright color, the green beans are transferred to an ice bath after the first 5 minutes of cooking. This is really when most people here in the States consider them ready. But in this green bean salad recipe, we go an extra step and return them back to the the boiling water to finish cooking.
The result is velvety tender green beans that are slightly sweeter and ready to take on more flavor.
And to ensure best flavor, while the green beans are warm, we toss them with a garlicy, zesty dressing using my favorite Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice. A sprinkle of feta and chopped olives round things up perfectly.
Make this Greek bean salad recipe ahead
This green bean salad is the perfect side dish in my book. It is usually served at room temperature, and you can prepare most of it the night before, and simply add the finishing touches before you serve.
Watch How I make this Green Bean Salad
Greek Green Bean Salad Recipe. Perfectly tender, flavor-packed green bean salad prepared Greek style. A garlicy, zesty dressing pulls it together, and a sprinkle of feta and chopped marinated olives take it to a new level of delicious.
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional, to taste
- Quality crumbled feta cheese, to taste
- 2 tbsp (or more to your liking) pitted olives, chopped
- Prepare dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, fresh dill, Spanish paprika, pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside for now.
- Bring a large pot filled with water to a boil. Add green beans. Cook for 5 minutes, then, keep the pot of boiling water going, but using tongs, transfer green beans to an ice bath (a bowl of ice and ice cold water) for 5 minutes. Return beans to boiling water to finish cooking until tender, about 10 more minutes or so. Drain well.
- Transfer warm beans to a mixing bowl. Toss with a little salt and pepper. Give the dressing a quick stir to combine well, then pour over the green beans. Toss again to coat.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle crushed pepper flakes and crumbled feta. Top with chopped olives. Serve at room temperature.
- Make ahead instructions. You can cook the green beans and toss in dressing the night before, if you like. Keep in fridge in tightly covered glass container. Remove from fridge and follow step #4 -> Transfer to serving platter and add crushed pepper flakes, feta and olives. Serve at room temperature.
Keywords: Green bean salad, green bean salad recipe, Greek green bean salad, Greek green beans, bean salad, bean salad recipe
More Recipes to Try: