Simple, hearty Mediterranean bean and broccoli pasta, tossed in a light olive oil sauce, and flavored with a few spices and herbs including oregano and fresh parsley. A sprinkle of grated Parmesan and some toasted pine nuts seal the deal!
- 3/4 lb elbow macaroni, whole wheat if possible
- 1/4 cup Private Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper, more if you like spicy
- 1 lb frozen broccoli florets, thawed (see notes for using fresh broccoli)
- 1 can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp Za’atar spice blend, more for later
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package until al dante. I like to add a little olive oil to the cooking water. Before you drain pasta, reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water for later.
- In a large pot, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring regularly, until translucent. Add garlic, oregano, Aleppo pepper, and crushed pepper flakes. Stir till fragrant.
- Now add thawed broccoli florets. Cook 4 minutes, tossing regularly. Add cannellini beans. And season with salt and pepper. Cook another 3 minutes or so, tossing regularly.
- Add the cooked pasta and about 1/3 cup of the reserved cooking water into the pot. Add fresh parsley, za’atar spice, and Parmesan cheese. Toss to combine. If you need to, add a little bit more of the pasta cooking water to help combine everything. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cook until everything is very well warmed through.
- Transfer to serving bowls. Sprinkle toasted pine nuts, more za’atar spice, and more crushed red pepper flakes on top. Enjoy!
- Cook’s Tip: Use whole wheat pasta if you’re following a strict Mediterranean diet.
- Cook’s Tip: This recipe serves 4 people for a vegetarian dinner. You can serve smaller portions for lunch (up to 6.)
- Cook’s Tip for Using Fresh Broccoli: If you are using fresh broccoli, cut it into small florets and cook them right in the pasta water. If you like your broccoli more on the done side, cook it along with the pasta at the same time (the entire 9 minutes or so that the pasta cooks). Or, for a quick blanch, just enough to soften the broccoli, add the broccoli florets to the cooking pasta water during the last 1 minute of cooking. When pasta is ready, drain both the pasta and broccoli together in a colander.
- What to Serve Along? I typically stick to a simple salad. Browse salad ideas here.
- Recommended for this recipe: Private Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). And from our all-natural spice collection: Aleppo-style pepper and za’atar.
- Visit our Online Shop to browse our collection of olive oils, spices, and more ingredients for Mediterranean cooking!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: broccoli pasta, pasta and broccoli recipe, broccoli white bean pasta