Simple bean and broccoli pasta, tossed with olive oil, fresh parsley and a few favorite spices. An easy and light weeknight dinner!
Use whole wheat pasta if you’re following a strict Mediterranean diet.
Pasta night—though, apparently, not as frequent as my girls would like to have it— is a big deal in my house. So, as the good mom I try to be, I get somewhat creative with it: Mediterranean olive oil pasta; blackened chicken and spaghetti; baked rigatoni with tomato and eggplant. And if we’re in the mood for real comfort food, it’s Greek Pastitsio.
This simple bean and broccoli pasta is the latest addition, and the family completely approves!
Of course, you’d expect a sprinkle of quality grated Parmesan in a good broccoli pasta. But because, at a very early age, I discovered there is nothing (almost nothing) that couldn’t benefit from a little parsley, I threw in a generous two cups of the slightly peppery fresh leaves.
Like hidden gems, creamy cannellini beans, with good-for-you protein, amp up the hearty factor. But for me, what seals the deal on this special broccoli pasta are some toasted pine nuts on top. Totally optional, but so highly recommended.
Darn! This humble broccoli pasta is sounding so grand right now. It’s definitely on the dinner rotation!Print
Simple, hearty Mediterranean bean and broccoli pasta. Tossed in olive oil, fresh parsley and favorite spices. A sprinkle of grated Parmesan and some toasted pine nuts seal the deal! Looking for something to serve along? Try this 3-ingredient Mediterranean salad.
- 3/4 lb elbow macaroni, whole wheat if possible
- 1/4 cup Private Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper, more if you like spicy
- 1 lb frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp Za’atar spice blend, more for later
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package until al dante. I like to add a little olive oil to the cooking water. Before you drain pasta, reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water for later.
- In a large pot, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring regularly, until translucent. Add garlic, oregano, Aleppo pepper, and crushed pepper flakes. Stir till fragrant.
- Now add thawed broccoli florets. Cook 4 minutes, tossing regularly.
- Add cannellini beans. And season with salt and pepper. Cook another 3 minutes or so, tossing regularly.
- Add the cooked pasta and about 1/3 cup of the reserved cooking water into the pot. Add fresh parsley, za’atar spice, and Parmesan cheese. Toss to combine. If you need to, add a little bit more of the pasta cooking water to help combine everything. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cook until everything is very well warmed through.
- Transfer to serving bowls. Sprinkle toasted pine nuts, more za’atar spice, and more crushed red pepper flakes on top. Enjoy!
- Use whole wheat pasta if you’re following a strict Mediterranean diet
- Recommended for this recipe: Private Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). And from our all-natural spice collection: Aleppo-style pepper and za’atar spice
- SAVE! Try our Greek Olive Oil Bundle and our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle. Or create your own 6-pack or 3-pack from our premium spice collections! Visit our store!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean Pasta, Bean and Broccoli Pasta, Elbow Pasta,
More Recipes to Try