Power Grain Bowls, prepared Mediterranean-style! Nutrition and protein-packed thanks to a good dose of lentils and chickpeas. The dressing is an absolute must!
- Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini squash, sliced into rounds
- 2 to 3 cups cooked farro (from 1 cup uncooked farro, prepared according to package)
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils or from canned lentils, drained and rinsed (see notes for lentil cooking instructions, if needed)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas or from canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 avocados, skin removed, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Handful pitted kalamata olives
- Sprinkle crumbled feta cheese, optional
For the Dressing
- Cook Zucchini. In a non-stick pan or skillet, heat 2tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the sliced zucchini and saute on both sides until tender. Remove zucchini with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Season lightly with salt.
- Prepare dressing. Add the dressing ingredients to a mason jar. Close the lid tightly, and give it a good shake. Set aside for now (but shake again before using).
- Assemble grain bowls. Divide the cooked farro, lentils, and chickpeas equally among four dinner bowls (it’ll come to 1/2 cup of each per bowl). Add cooked zucchini, tomatoes, shallots, avocado slices, parsley, and kalamata olives. Season lightly with salt, pepper and more za’atar, if you like. Drizzle a bit of the dressing on top (about 2 tbsp per bowl). Finish with crumbled feta, if you like.
- Serve at room temperature or warm, if farro and pulses were just cooked. It’s best to mix the ingredients in each bowl to allow the dressing flavors to infuse. If you have a bit of dressing left, serve it alongside.
- How to cook lentils. If you end up buying dried lentils at the bulk section of your grocery store, you can prepare them this way: rinse lentils with cold water, no need to soak. Combine 1 cup lentils with 2.5 cups water. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Add pinch of salt.
- Recommended for this Recipe– Early Harvest Greek Extra Virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). And from our all-natural spice collection: Za’atar Spice and Ground Sumac.
- SAVE! Try our Greek Olive Oil Bundle; Mediterranean Spice Essentials Bundle; or our All-Star Mediterranean Spice Trio!
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: grain bowls, lentil salad, healthy Mediterranean salad