Hearty, rustic, and satisfying vegan cabbage soup, prepared Mediterranean-style with loads of vegetables, tasty aromatics, and a few warm spices. A splash of lemon juice and some fresh herbs stirred at the very end, take this vegetable and cabbage soup to a whole new level of delicious. Need a crock pot cabbage soup? I’ve got you covered! And you can also see instructions for Instant Pot cabbage soup below.
Make a double batch of this healthy cabbage soup and freeze some for later use!
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Early Harvest Greek EVOO)
- 2 medium-sized onions, sliced into half moons (I used red and yellow onions)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and sliced into 1/4 inch-thick rounds
- 1 1/2 lb green cabbage (about 1/2 head of cabbage), cored and chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp organic ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Bay leaf
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 6 to 7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Zest plus juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- Pinch crushed red pepper (optional)
Stove-Top Cabbage Soup
- In a large Dutch Oven or heavy pot, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil until shimmering but not smoking.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and chopped cabbage. Saute the vegetables for a bit until somewhat tender. Season with salt and pepper, then add the rest of the spices and bay leaf. Cook for a few more minutes, tossing regularly.
- Stir in tomato sauce and broth. Raise the heat and bring the soup to a boil for 5 minutes, then turn heat to low and cover the pot only part-way. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Finally, stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and fresh dill (or your choice of fresh herb.) Transfer to serving bowls.
Crock Pot Cabbage Soup
- Place carrots, potatoes, cabbage, onions and garlic in the bottom of a 6-quart crock pot like this one.
- Season with kosher salt and pepper. Add spices, bay leaf, tomato sauce, and broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover the crock pot (or slow cooker) and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours. Occasionally stir to mix.
- When the soup is ready, unplug the crock pot. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and fresh dill.
- Transfer soup to serving bowls
Instant Pot Cabbage Soup
- Add all the ingredients except the lemon juice, lemon zest, and fresh dill to the instant pot.
- Lock the lid and lock the lid and set on high for a total time of 15 minutes, then let the pot naturally release (another 15-20 minutes.) When done, remove the lid and stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice and fresh dill. Transfer to serving bowls and enjoy!
- Note: If you like, you can start by sauteing the vegetables in the instant pot first with some extra virgin olive before cooking.
* Once transferred to serving bowls, top the cabbage soup with a drizzle of Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil. And if you like heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes. Serve with warm pita or your favorite crusty whole wheat bread. Enjoy!
- Cook’s Tip: If fresh dill is not available, or if you prefer a different herb, try chopped fresh parsley
- Storage and Freezing Instructions: Store leftover cabbage soup in air-tight containers in the fridge for 4 days or so. You can also freeze leftovers for a month or longer! Thaw overnight in the fridge and warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Visit our Online Shop to browse Mediterranean ingredients, extra virgin olive oils, and spices including cumin, coriander, turmeric, and sweet paprika.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Vegan Cabbage Soup, Cabbage Soup, Crock Pot Cabbage Soup, Instant Pot Cabbage Soup