A baked omelet made Middle Eastern style with zucchini, onions and lots of fresh mint leaves. Comes together in 30 mins or less. The perfect breakfast or brunch, especially with a side of fattoush or tabouli salad!
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil, more if needed
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Whole bunch fresh mint, stems removed (about 30 mint leaves), torn
- 8 large eggs
- pinch red pepper flakes, to your taste
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 slices of bread (toast), crust removed and soaked in 1/3 cup milk
- Feta cheese for garnish (optional)
- Lemon juice to serve
- Sliced tomatoes to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the zucchini slices with a little salt and set aside for 15 minutes. Pat the zucchini dry.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet (or oven safe skillet), heat the olive oil on medium, then add the zucchini and onions. Raise the heat to medium-high and saute the vegetables for 5-7 minutes or until they are tender and golden in color. Add most of the torn mint leaves; set aside some for later. Turn the heat off and let cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, salt, crushed red pepper, and the baking powder. Squeeze the toast to drain any excess milk, then break it apart with your hands and add the bread pieces to the eggs. Whisk again briefly.
- Now stir the zucchini and onions in the egg mixture. If needed, add a little more olive oil to the cast iron skillet. Transfer the egg mixture to the skillet.
- Bake in the 350 F degrees heated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the surface of the omelet looks done.
- Top the zucchini baked omelet with feta cheese if you like. And garnish with the torn mint leaves you set aside earlier. Serve with lemon wedges on the side and sliced fresh vegetables like tomatoes. A great side dish to this zucchini baked omelet is fattoush salad.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: Middle Eastern Omelet, Baked Omelet, Zucchini Omelet, Middle Eastern Breakfast,