Crispy olive oil fried brussels sprouts with caramelized onions and garlic. Finish with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts for the perfect side dish! Want to take things up another notch? Add a drizzle of homemade tahini sauce. Serve immediately!
- 4 to 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided (I used Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 cup chopped red onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb brussles sprouts, tops removed, halved
- Kosher salt
- Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, to your liking (I used about 1/4 cup or so)
- 3 tbsp toasted pine nuts, optional
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil briefly over medium heat. Add chopped onions and saute until they soft and nicely caramelized (5 to 7 minutes). Add garlic and toss another 30 seconds. Remove onions and garlic to a side plate for now.
- Add remaining extra virgin olive oil, and if needed raise heat to medium-high, till oil is shimmering but not smoking. Add brussels sprouts flat-side down first. Cook and do not stir or turn over until bottoms crisp up, turning a nice golden brown or even charred (do this to your liking, I like my brussels sprouts pretty charred.) Turn over on the other side and cook another 5 to 6 minutes until crisp.
- Toss in the cooked onions and garlic. And add a generous sprinkle of kosher salt.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Finish with grated Parmesan and toasted pine nuts if using. Serve immediately.
- Cook's Tip: These pan fried brussels sprouts are best served immediately, so prepare everything else first and make these just before you serve the meal.
- Cook's Tip: If you're not comfortable using olive oil, although I love it in this recipe because it does enhance the taste, you can also use sunflower oil or avocado oil for frying. Use a mesh splatter screen for safety and to keep your stove-top clean.
- What to serve these with? These make the perfect side dish next to roast chicken, lamb or even baked fish. But you can also turn them int a vegetarian meal with quick-cooked polenta or plain orzo.
- Recommended for this Recipe Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives!)
- Visit our shop to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Fried Brussels Sprouts, Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts Recipe, Brussel Sprouts