This one-skillet macaroni and cheese with Italian sausage and bell peppers packs flavor and comes together in minutes! A top macaroni & cheese recipe!
- 1 lb fusilli pasta
- olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic (or 3-4 garlic cloves)
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (Or chicken sausage), casings removed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzerlla cheese
- Cook the pasta in the water according to package instructions adding 1 tbsp olive oil and salt to the boiling water. When the pasta is cooked to Al Dente, remove from heat and drain. Set aside briefly.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. On medium-high heat, saute the chopped green and red bell peppers and the red onions for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add the garlic and saute for one more minute. Transfer the sauteed vegetables to a plate.
- In the same skillet, on medium-high heat, brown the Italian sausage until completely cooked through (about 10 minutes). Stir in the tomato paste and sugar.
- Return the sauteed vegetables back to the skillet; stir to combine. Now stir in the cooked pasta. Turn the heat to medium, tossing together until the pasta is warmed through. Stir in the cheese. Turn the heat off and cover briefly so the cheese melts nicely. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Macaroni and cheese recipe, one-skillet pasta recipe