Pomegranates are everywhere these days. How about a Persian-inspired pomegranate chicken thigh recipe? Warning: you will want to make extra of this yummy chicken.
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt with no msg
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika (sweet or hot)
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses (or organic blackstrap molasses)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 large red onion, sliced, divided
- Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 bay leaf
- seasoned salt to taste
- 2 tbsp dried mint leaves, crushed
- 1 large pomegranate, seeds of
- Prepare the spice rub by combining the rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pat chicken thighs dry and begin to apply the spice rub generously. Be sure to lift skin carefully and apply some or the spice rub underneath; this is very important for flavor.
- Place chicken in a large dish on a bed of red onions (use 1/2 the amount of onions you sliced earlier). Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Take chicken out of the fridge and let sit in room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- When ready, heat one tbsp of olive oil in a large and heavy skillet. Turn heat to medium-high and brown chicken thighs on both sides, beginning with skin-side. Place browned chicken in a large roasting pan.
- To the same skillet, add a little more oil, if needed. Now, on medium-high heat, saute the remaining onion slices for 3-5 minutes or until slightly browned.
- To the sauteed onions, add white wine and let simmer to reduce. Now add pomegranate molasses, bay leaf, seasoned salt, and chicken broth. Let the liquid simmer together for about 5-7 minutes to develop a nice pomegranate-wine sauce/broth.
- Remove bay leaf and pour the pomegranate-wine sauce/broth over the chicken thighs in the roasting pan.
- Cover and bake in 450 degree F-heated oven for 20 minutes. Then, uncover and bake on the lowest oven rack for another 25-30 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Remove from oven and let sit for five minutes.
- Serve with a garnish of dried mint leaves and fresh pomegranate seeds.
- Try these Greek potatoes as a side dish.
- Prep Time: 2 hours 25 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean/Persian
Keywords: Pomegranate Chicken Thighs, chicken thighs, pomegranate chicken, Mediterranean chicken,