Mediterranean-Style roasted beet salad with crispy kale and slivered almonds. A simple lemon-honey vinaigrette with a hint of piney rosemary brings it all together. The perfect salad or side dish to complete a beautiful meal. Vegan. Gluten Free. Be sure to review recipe notes for important tips.
For Beet Salad
- 1 bunch kale, well cleaned and ribs removed (about 8 ounces kale leaves)
- 2.5 lb/ 1133 g beets (6 to 7 beets) washed, dried and peeled
- salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Early Harvest)
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds
For Lemon-Honey Vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss kale with salt, pepper and a little extra virgin olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet. Roast in heated-oven for 7 minutes. Check, and if kale is not crispy enough, leave it in oven a little longer (I went up to 10 minutes). Remove from oven and set aside.
- Cut peeled beets into wedges. Place beets on a baking sheet and season with salt. Add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat. Make sure beets are spread in one layer on the baking sheet and roast in heated oven for about 45 minutes or so.
- While beets are roasting, make the lemon-honey vinaigrette. Simply mix vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine (if the honey is too thick, you can warm it up very briefly in the microwave for just a few seconds to help it run better.)
- Toast silvered almonds in a dry non-stick skillet, tossing frequently, until almonds turn a golden color (do not brown too much.)
- When beets are ready and you are able to stick a knife in without resistance, remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add shallots.
- Pour the lemon-honey vinaigrette on top, and give the beets and shallots a nice toss. Add crispy kale and very gently toss.
- Transfer beet salad to a serving platter. Add toasted silvered almonds. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- Option: If you don't need to keep this beet salad vegan, you can add some crumbled feta or goat cheese.
- Pro-Tip: When working with beets, use disposable gloves to avoid staining your hands.
- Pro-Tip for Make ahead: You can roast the beets up to 3 days in advance. Let them cool completely before refrigerating. A glass container with tight-lid is best option for storage. Bring beets to room temperature before putting together the salad.
- To Cook Beets in Instant Pot Instead:
Wash and trim beets. Add basket insert into Instant Pot, and then add 1 cup water (Be sure beets are in a single layer over the insert). Lock the Instant Pot lid in place, making sure the valve on the lid is pointed at the “Sealing” position.
Use the “Pressure Cook” function and and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. (Larger beets will take longer, maybe 20 to 30 minutes to cook.)
When beets are finished, release the pressure immediately by turning the venting knob to vent position. When pressure is released, unlock lid. To test, use a small sharp knife to poke beets, if knife goes in without much resistance, they are ready. If they seem too hard yet, cook them a little longer in high pressure (about 2 to 5 minutes more.)
- Recommended for this recipe: Organic rosemary and Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil.
- Browse our Online Shop for all-natural and organic spices, including the Ultimate Spice Bundle, Olive Oil Bundle and more!
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Beet Salad, Roasted Beet Salad, How to cook Beets