This simple roasted beet salad recipe with crispy kale and almonds will impress on many levels. Truly more than a salad! A lemon-honey vinaigrette, with a hint of piney organic rosemary, brings it all together.
This is a great salad (or side) for any night of the week, but also perfect if you want to amp up the wow factor for a special holiday dinner! Vegan and Gluten Free. Be sure to see the Instant Pot cooking option too below.
I honestly think there is a little magic in this roasted beet salad recipe. Even my husband who is not at all a fan of beets really enjoys it. And how festive does it look?!
Why this Beet Salad Works
It is rare that beets take center stage as the main event, but in this salad they do! They’re not just added with a bunch of other ingredients to “fluff things up.”
In this simple salad we have two main ingredients really: beets and kale. And what pulls them together is a simple lemon-honey vinaigrette with organic rosemary. The balance of flavors in this simple vinaigrette is unreal! And the fragrant, piney flavor of rosemary really compliments the roasted beets.
How to Make Crispy Kale Chips
I’ll admit right now that I’m not a fan of raw kale. I much prefer kale roasted…and well-salted crispy kale is far better in my opinion. It’s really not hard to do, just toss the kale leaves in some salt and a little extra virgin olive oil, then spread on a large baking sheet and roast in higher-heated oven for 7 to 10 minutes (you want to see slightly browned edges, but watch so that the kale does not burn.)
How to Roast Beets
To roast beets, you don’t even need to peel them necessarily. The reason I do peel and cut the beets before roasting is that I like to expose their inner juicy scarlet flesh to some kosher salt and excellent extra virgin olive oil.
Pro tip: just use a pair of disposable gloves to avoid staining your hands.
Can this Roasted Beet Salad be Prepared Ahead?
You can roast the beets ahead of time. They will keep well refrigerated in a tight-lid container for 3 days or so. Be sure the beets cool off before storing.
How to Cook Beets In Instant Pot?
Instant Pot is all the rage these days, and if you don’t have the time for roasting the beets here, you can totally cook them in your pressure cooker/Instant Pot.
- To cook beets in instant pot, simply start by trimming the beets, you will not need to peel or slice them.
- Add basket insert into Instant Pot, and then add 1 cup water (Be sure beets are in a single layer over the insert). Lock the Instant Pot lid in place, making sure the valve on the lid is pointed at the “Sealing” position.
- Use the “Pressure Cook” function and and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. (Larger beets will take longer, maybe 20 to 30 minutes to cook.)
- When beets are finished, release the pressure immediately by turning the venting knob to vent position. When pressure is released, unlock lid. To test, use a small sharp knife to poke beets, if knife goes in without much resistance, they are ready. If they seem too hard yet, cook them a little longer in high pressure (about 2 to 5 minutes more.)
More Recipes to Try
*This post was recently republished with more information for readers’ benefit.Print
Mediterranean-Style roasted beet salad with crispy kale and slivered almonds. A simple lemon-honey vinaigrette with a hint of piney rosemary brings it all together. The perfect salad or side dish to complete a beautiful meal. Vegan. Gluten Free. Be sure to review recipe notes for important tips.
For Beet Salad
- 1 bunch kale, well cleaned and ribs removed (about 8 ounces kale leaves)
- 2.5 lb/ 1133 g beets (6 to 7 beets) washed, dried and peeled
- salt and pepper
- Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds
For Lemon-Honey Vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss kale with salt, pepper and a little extra virgin olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet. Roast in heated-oven for 7 minutes. Check, and if kale is not crispy enough, leave it in oven a little longer (I went up to 10 minutes). Remove from oven and set aside.
- Cut peeled beets into wedges. Place beets on a baking sheet and season with salt. Add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat. Make sure beets are spread in one layer on the baking sheet and roast in heated oven for about 45 minutes or so.
- While beets are roasting, make the lemon-honey vinaigrette. Simply mix vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Toast silvered almonds in a dry non-stick skillet, tossing frequently, until almonds turn a golden color (do not brown too much.)
- When beets are ready and you are able to stick a knife in without resistance, remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add shallots.
- Pour the lemon-honey vinaigrette on top, and give the beets and shallots a nice toss. Add crispy kale and very gently toss.
- Transfer beet salad to a serving platter. Add toasted silvered almonds. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- Option: If you don’t need to keep this beet salad vegan, you can add some crumbled feta or goat cheese.
- Pro-Tip: When working with beets, use disposable gloves to avoid staining your hands.
- Pro-Tip for Make ahead: You can roast the beets up to 3 days in advance. Let them cool completely before refrigerating. A glass container with tight-lid is best option for storage. Bring beets to room temperature before putting together the salad.
- To Cook Beets in Instant Pot Instead:
Wash and trim beets. Add basket insert into Instant Pot, and then add 1 cup water (Be sure beets are in a single layer over the insert). Lock the Instant Pot lid in place, making sure the valve on the lid is pointed at the “Sealing” position.
Use the “Pressure Cook” function and and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. (Larger beets will take longer, maybe 20 to 30 minutes to cook.)
When beets are finished, release the pressure immediately by turning the venting knob to vent position. When pressure is released, unlock lid. To test, use a small sharp knife to poke beets, if knife goes in without much resistance, they are ready. If they seem too hard yet, cook them a little longer in high pressure (about 2 to 5 minutes more.)
- Recommended for this recipe: Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil. SAVE! Try our Greek EVOO Bundle.
- Recommended for this recipe: Organic Rosemary. SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle or create your own 6-pack or 3-pack from our all-natural and organic spice collections.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Beet Salad, Roasted Beet Salad, How to cook Beets