One-pot Greek Baked Chicken Orzo: Perfectly seasoned chicken, nestled into a mixture of tiny orzo pasta with onions, bell peppers, and tomato. This is a dinner for any night of the week. Easy, and absolutely satisfying. I’m in love!
This is a story about chicken dinners. The most trusted of weeknight meals ever! And likely the most comforting.
I tell you, you can do wonders with chicken! And to me, chicken is even more special when you turn it into a satisfying one-pot meal like my earlier Middle Eastern Chicken and Rice; this Greek Chicken and Potato Dinner; and of course, my newest obsession, today’s Greek Chicken Orzo!
Why this Greek Baked Chicken Orzo Recipe works?
Admittedly, this one-pot chicken orzo recipe is not necessarily a traditional Greek recipe. Oh, but it so does have all the comforting Greek things we love.
This baked chicken orzo has it all!
Quick-marinated boneless chicken nestled in a mixture of tiny orzo pasta with tomatoes and bell peppers. Of course, as you would expect, layers of flavor from onions, garlic, and a few spices. As cliche as this sounds, a sprinkle of feta cheese, just before serving, completes this chicken orzo for me.
What to serve with this Greek Chicken Orzo?
When I made this the other night, all I added as a side was a bowl of my lazy Mediterranean salad. After all, the idea of a one-pot dinner is fewer dishes, of course! But, you can also try roasted garlic hummus and a side of Balela salad, if you like.
Easy one-pot Greek Baked Chicken Orzo! Perfectly seasoned chicken, nestled into a mixture of tiny orzo pasta with onions, bell peppers, and tomato. All the comfort.
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp all-natural sweet paprika
- 1 tsp all-natural coriander
- 1 tsp each kosher salt and black pepper
- 1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Green bell pepper, cored and sliced into rounds
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups canned peeled plum tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cups dry uncooked orzo pasta (or whole grain orzo if you have it)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine spices (oregano, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper.) Pat chicken dry, and season well with the spices (use clean hands to coat chicken with spices). Place seasoned chicken in a large bowl and add lemon juice. Set aside for 20 minutes or so while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- When ready, in a 5-quart Dutch oven like this one or a large oven-safe pot, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high until shimmering but not smoking.
- Add chicken and brown the chicken on both sides (about 8 to 10 minutes). Remove chicken pieces to a plate for now.
- In the same pot, add green bell pepper slices and sear on either side. Remove and place with the chicken for now.
- If needed, add another tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Add chopped onions and red peppers, cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until soft. Add garlic, and cook another 30 seconds, then, add plum tomatoes, broth, spices, and a dash of kosher salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then add the orzo pasta.
- Nestle the chicken pieces, and top with the green bell pepper slices.
- Transfer the pot to heated oven. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or so. Remove from oven, cover and let sit 5 minutes undisturbed (orzo will absorb any juices.)
- Before serving, drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil, and garnish with fresh parsley and feta, if you like.
- To serve, consider adding a side of this easy Mediterranean salad or this Balela salad. A plate of roasted garlic hummus or this roasted red pepper hummus would make a great starter, if you like.
- Recommended for this recipe: Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives); and from our all-natural and organic spice collections: sweet paprika, and coriander.
- SAVE! Try our Greek Olive Oil Bundle and our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle. Or create your own 6-pack or 3-pack from our all-natural or organic spice collections.
More Recipes to Try: