This one-skillet Mediterranean chicken recipe is the perfect weeknight dinner. It takes very little prep and only 15 minutes to cook! It’s healthy, bright, and packed with fresh Mediterranean flavors. Be sure to check out the tips and video tutorial below!
Today’s Mediterranean chicken recipe came together very much on a whim. I just happened to have all the ingredients on hand. The flavor inspiration here is Greek, featuring classics like garlic, lemon juice, tomatoes, olives and feta.
This is one chicken breast recipe that you can certainly tweak to your liking. Add a handful of spinach, for example; switch out the olives for capers; or omit the feta cheese, if you don’t have it. Adding fresh parsley toward the end gives this Mediterranean chicken recipe just a little more brightness.
I don’t know about you, but to me, an easy and adaptable recipe that doesn’t require a special shopping trip is definite win!
What you need to do
(here’s the step-by-step with photos, but be sure to check out the video just before the recipe below)
1. To make this Mediterranean chicken recipe, we start with 4 boneless chicken breasts that have been patted dry. I like to make a few slits through on each side of the chicken breasts to house the fresh garlic and spices (this ensures better flavor).
Spread the garlic on both sides; insert some garlic into the slits you made. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt, pepper and 1/2 of the dried oregano.
2- Now, in a large cast iron skillet, we brown the chicken breasts on both sides (I use a little extra virgin olive oil here that’s been heated until shimmering but not smoking).
3- Time to give the chicken a little sauce. First white wine, which we reduce a bit. Then lemon juice and chicken broth. A dash more oregano.
Reduce the heat to medium. Cover with a lid or tightly with foil and let the chicken cook in the yummy sauce for 10 to 15 minutes, turning over once. (Chicken is cooked through when internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F).
4- My favorite part…adding all the beautiful Mediterranean toppings. First tomatoes and onions go right in (on top of the chicken breasts). Cover and let them cook 3 minutes or so, just to soften a bit. Then drop in fresh parsley and feta cheese and remove from heat. Serve with your favorite pasta, rice or grain of choice.
Tips and Make Ahead Instructions
1. This Mediterranean chicken recipe calls for 4 boneless chicken breasts. If you’re working with larger, thicker breasts, you might get away with using only 2 breasts and splitting them into thinner cutlets. To do so, place the chicken breast flat on a cutting board. Place one hand on top to hold the breast. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the chicken breast horizontally into two even pieces. It helps if you do this close to the edge of the cutting board.
2. This is a quick recipe, but if you want to prepare it one night in advance, you can. You’ll want to fully cook the chicken breasts in the skillet, but do not add the toppings of tomatoes red onions etc. The next day, when you are ready to serve, bring chicken to room temperature. Then warm it up in the skillet and add the toppings according to the recipe.
Watch the Quick Video for How to Make this Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
Easy Mediterranean Chicken Recipe that requires little prep, one skillet, and 15 minutes to cook! Plus, it’s loaded with favorite Mediterranean flavors.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts of equal size
- 2 tbsp minced garlic or garlic paste
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano, divided
- Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cup small-diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- Handful of fresh parsley, stems removed, chopped
- Crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Pat the chicken breasts dry. On each side of the chicken breasts make three slits through.
- Spread the garlic on both sides; insert some garlic into the slits you made. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt, pepper and 1/2 of the dried oregano.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium-high. Brown the chicken on both sides. Add the white wine and let reduce by 1/2 then add the lemon juice and chicken broth. Sprinkle the remaining oregano on top. Reduce the heat to medium. Cover with a lid or tightly with foil. Cook for 10-15 mins turning the chicken over once (chicken’s internal temperature should reach 165 degrees F.)
- Uncover and top with the chopped onions, tomatoes and olives. Cover again and cook for only 3 minutes. Finally add the parsley and feta cheese. Serve with a light pasta, rice or couscous. Enjoy
- Pro-Tip: If you’re working with larger and thicker boneless chicken breasts, you might be okay using only two breasts and splitting them into cutlets. To do so, place the chicken breast flat on a cutting board. Place one hand on top to hold the breast. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the chicken breast horizontally into two even pieces. It helps if you do this close to the edge of the cutting board.
- Make Ahead: If you want to make this recipe one night ahead, fully cook the chicken breasts in the skillet, but do not add the toppings of tomatoes red onions etc. The next day, when you are ready to serve, bring chicken to room temperature. Then warm it up in the skillet and add the toppings according to the recipe.
- Recommended for this Recipe: our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). SAVE! Try our Greek EVOO Bundle
- Visit The Mediterranean Dish store for all-natural and organic Mediterranean spices, olive oils and more!
Keywords: Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
More Recipes to Try