Looking for a quick and tasty weeknight dinner? This Easy shrimp recipe is your ticket! Shrimp are coated in Mediterranean spices, then quickly cooked in a light sauce of olive oil and citrus along with shallots, bell peppers and tomatoes. Serve it with rice or your favorite grain and call it good! Be sure to read through for my tips and watch the video for how to make this easy shrimp recipe toward the bottom of this post.
Left to my own vices, I can eat shrimp all day long. This might explains why I don’t tire of creating easy shrimp recipes over here on the blog. To name a few: grilled shrimp with garlic cilantro sauce; Mediterranean shrimp skewers; shrimp orzo soup; spicy shrimp and Chorizo couscous. I just can’t help it, folks!
Why this Easy Shrimp Recipe Works?
Lately, I’ve taken to buying bags of already peeled and deveined shrimp from the freezer section. It makes life so much easier! In a pinch (which happens a lot more often than you think), I know I can reach for my skillet and go after an easy shrimp recipe like this one.
Here, the shrimp derive flavor from a quick coating of smoked Spanish paprika, coriander, and a pinch of cayenne. I add a little flour to thicken the sauce later. Then the shrimp are tossed in the skillet with shallots, tomato, garlic and bell peppers.
And my tasty cooking sauce is a simple combination of extra virgin olive oil, broth, and citrus.
It’s really hard to mess up an easy shrimp recipe like this one. The only rule is to avoid over-cooking the shrimp.
How do you know when shrimp is ready? It’s really not hard to figure out when they’re done, they turn completely opaque with an orange-ish color and bright red tails
What to Serve Along?
This shrimp recipe is meant to be a quick weeknight dinner, but will totally impress company. To turn in into dinner, I typically add a side of rice (or grain of choice) and a quick salad to start things off. Salad options are endless. If you want to start with hearty salad, try Balela or this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad with Eggplant. Otherwise, this quick 3-ingredient Mediterranean salad always does the trick for me.
Watch How I Make this Easy Shrimp Recipe
More Recipes to Try:Print
Easy shrimp recipe, coated in Mediterranean spices and skillet-cooked in a light olive oil and citrus sauce with shallots, tomatoes and more!
- 1 Lebanese Rice recipe (or make rice according to package), optional
- 1 1/4 lb large shrimp (or prawns), peeled and deveined (if frozen, be sure to thaw first)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots (about 3 1/2 ounces), thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper and 1/2 yellow bell pepper (about 6 ounces in total), sliced
- 1 cup canned diced tomato
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley leaves
- First, make Lebanese rice according this recipe. Leave covered and undisturbed until ready to serve. Alternatively, you can make brown or white rice according to store-bought package. (Optional)
- Pat shrimp dry and place it in a large bowl. Add flour, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, coriander, cayenne, and sugar. Toss until shrimp is well-coated.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly, until fragrant. Add bell peppers. Cook another 4 minutes or so, tossing occasionally.
- Now add the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the diced tomatoes, broth, white wine and lemon juice. Cook for 5-6 minutes until shrimp turns bright orange. Finally, stir in chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately with cooked rice.
- Suggested starters and salads: Baba Ganoush; Roasted Red Pepper Hummus; Balela Salad; 3-Ingredient Mediterranean Salad; Fresh Herbs and Tomato Salad
- Recommended for this recipe: from our all-natural and organic spice collections, Spanish Paprika and Ground Coriander! Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Greek koroneiki olives)
- SAVE! Create your own 3-Pack of spices or try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle (quality all-natural and organic spices!) Check out our Greek Olive Oil Bundle!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Shrimp recipe, easy shrimp recipe, Mediterranean shrimp recipe, skillet shrimp