A simple Mediterranean-style tomato salad that will rock your world! Tomatoes and red onions with fresh parsley and dill, doused in citrus and olive oil. Vegan. Gluten-free. See the step-by-step.
Let’s start with this confession: I use tomatoes year-round, but I anxiously await tomato season. I am as excited about tomato season as my teenage daughter is about, you know, the next new gadget or app! I have been known to buy several pounds of each tomato variety I find in just one trip to the market. And between pasta dishes; my quick roasted tomatoes; and the endless salads and tomato sandwiches we eat, somehow we always manage to quickly wipe them out!
There is no shortage of tomato salad options around here. Fattoush, tabouli, or even this Israeli couscous salad, make the dinner table on a regular basis. And a new favorite is today’s tomato salad, which I lazily made to go next these beef kabobs.
5 Ingredient tomato salad
This is likely the easiest salad I have made to date. Tomatoes and red onions with fresh parsley and dill, doused in citrus and olive oil! I do add some garlic for good measure. Feta cheese is optional, but always a good idea!
Choose your tomatoes wisely
Although the fresh herbs here are important, the star ingredient in this tomato salad recipe is, of course, tomatoes. So the end result will depend heavily on how good your tomatoes are. Choose tomatoes that are ripe, but firm. They should be plump and heavy, and the skin should be smooth and without any bruises.
Here is the step-by-step tutorial for today’s tomato salad
(scroll down for the print-friendly recipe)
Slice the tomatoes into wedges and the onions into thin half moons as the recipe indicates. Finely chop the garlic and herbs.
In a large salad or mixing bowl, add the tomatoes, onions, fresh herbs and garlic. Add the sumac, salt and a generous sprinkle of freshly ground pepper. Toss gently, then add the lemon juice, white wine and olive oil. Toss again to combine. Taste and adjust the salt to your liking.
Transfer to a serving platter. Top with large pieces of good quality feta cheese, if you like. Enjoy!
- 7 medium-size tomatoes (on-the-vine tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes preferred), sliced into wedges
- 1 medium-size red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped or minced
- 1 packed cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 packed cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 1/2 tsp ground sumac
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Feta cheese, optional
- Prepare the ingredients as indicated in the ingredients section.
- In a large salad or mixing bowl, add the tomatoes, onions, fresh herbs and garlic. Add the sumac, salt and a generous sprinkle of freshly ground pepper.
- Add the lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and olive oil. Toss well to combine. Taste and adjust the salt to your liking.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or dish. Top with large slices of good quality feta cheese (optional). Serve immediately.