An all-star Mediterranean salad recipe! A quick, refreshing, and delicious salad with fresh parsley and a light lemony dressing!
This simple Mediterranean salad, we call Salata, is a staple of the Eastern Mediterranean kitchen. It is as traditional as they come–so representative of the regions agricultural roots. And it is the one from which other Mediterranean salads like, fattoush; tabouli; or this Israeli couscous salad, derive inspiration.
There are only three main ingredients to this Mediterranean salad: tomatoes, cucumbers, and fresh parsley. The dressing is a simple drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice. For seasoning, a simple dash of salt and black pepper is all you need; but I really like the addition of sumac spice for a little more depth.
Two quick tips for best results: Use ripe, but firm tomatoes. And, if possible, opt for English cucumbers, also known as hothouse cucumbers; they are the longer cukes that you see in the grocery store wrapped tightly in plastic. English cucumbers are slightly sweeter, have thinner skin, and contain smaller, less noticeable seeds.
Variations of this salad may also include chopped red onions and a cup of cooked chickpeas.Print
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups diced tomatoes)
- 1 Large English cucumber (or hot-house cucumber), diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground Sumac
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Place the diced tomatoes and cucumbers in a colander over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and leave to drain for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the tomatoes and cucumbers to a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well to combine. Enjoy!
Other Recipes to Try:
This post may include affiliate links