An all-star Mediterranean salad recipe! A quick, refreshing, and delicious salad with fresh parsley and a light lemony dressing!
This simple Mediterranean salad, we call Salata, is a staple of the Eastern Mediterranean kitchen. It is as traditional as they come–so representative of the regions agricultural roots. And it is the one from which other Mediterranean salads like, fattoush; tabouli; or this Israeli couscous salad, derive inspiration.
There are only three main ingredients to this Mediterranean salad: tomatoes, cucumbers, and fresh parsley. The dressing is a simple drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice. For seasoning, a simple dash of salt and black pepper is all you need; but I really like the addition of sumac spice for a little more depth.
Two quick tips for best results: Use ripe, but firm tomatoes. And, if possible, opt for English cucumbers, also known as hothouse cucumbers; they are the longer cukes that you see in the grocery store wrapped tightly in plastic. English cucumbers are slightly sweeter, have thinner skin, and contain smaller, less noticeable seeds.
Variations of this salad may also include chopped red onions and a cup of cooked chickpeas.
Watch how I make this Mediterranean Salad RecipePrint
Easy all-star Mediterranean salad with three star ingredients. Tomatoes, cucumbers, and parsley. A sprinkle of all-natural sumac spice, a little citrus, and Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil finish it off.
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups diced tomatoes)
- 1 Large English cucumber (or hot-house cucumber), diced
- 1/2 to 3/4 packed cup/ 15 to 20 g chopped fresh parsley leaves
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground Sumac
- 2 tbsp Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place the diced tomatoes, cucumbers and parsley in a large salad bowl. Add salt and set aside for 4 minutes or so.
- Add the remaining ingredients and give the salad a gentle toss. Allow the flavors a few minutes to meld before serving. Enjoy!
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean salad recipe, tomatoes and cucumber, middle eastern salad
Other Recipes to Try: